Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Intro and Lump Question

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm a long time lurker and figured it was time to introduce myself. 

I joined the cult I mean got my LBGE :-) last August, but before that, part of my research included reading everyone's comments here.  I don't usually post a lot online and I hate to be 'that guy' who asks a question that's already been asked a few times, but most everyone's been really nice.

Anyway, I finally joined a couple of weeks ago to jump on the Grill Extender group buy, but since it took a while to get approved, I was able to order/pay before I could even post, so this is my first post.

I do have a question - one of my early accessories was the High-Q grate because I was having issues getting a good fire started. Now that I've gotten much better about getting a good fire, I wonder if I actually 'need' the high Q because I worry about the smaller lump pieces falling through. From research in the forums, I've seen some say that they just add the small lump back. I worry about blocking air flow with too much small lump. Am I overthinking this?

-David

---
LBGE, HighQ, Platesetter, Maverick ET-732 (sadly no Thermapen, yet)

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I use RO lump, have always just dumped the lump straight out of the bag - never had a problem getting a good fire started.  Get a few stones now and then.  I use the factory supplied cast grate.  Never had a fire go out.. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Using the original grate, only had a fire go out once, during an overnight very low and slo, 225 dome. Have done 24 hour 250 dome with no issue. Don't worry about it anymore as I now do Turbo. Using RO, WGWW or BGE lump. Have now switched to almost exclusive RO (Wegmans). Bought 6 bags yesterday.
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Yes you are. Have them on all three Eggs and will not remove or own any Egg without one.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tx_dreamer
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.  I'll try just dumping the lump on my High Q and see how that goes.  I've been hand picking the pieces so far, but I'm going to let loose next time. :-)

---
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Welcome to the lifestyle @tx_dreamer (from Texas I assume?)

Don't worry about posting questions that have been asked before. While it's always a good idea to search and read previous posts on any particular topic most of us don't mind answering the same question again... it gives us a chance to demonstrate how smart we are! 
    ;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Welcome. Where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dajogejr
    dajogejr Posts: 12
    Options
    I tap and shake the bag just a little to let some of the smaller particles settle to the bottom, but I dont hand pick lump.  I end up giving the bottom 1/4 to 1/8 of the bag to my neighbor for his bon fire pit....
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I dump, shake the bag and then lick the inside of the bag. Ozark Oak
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • finster
    finster Posts: 136
    Options
    I have the stock grate but dump bags into a bin.  Big pieces on the bottom to prevent blockage and put old lump on top.
    MBGE in Charleston

• tx_dreamer
    Options
    I've got my lump in a container for now so I have to hand pick it, but when I'm out of that batch, I'm going to try dumping it to see what happens.

@henapple, I'm in the DFW area (Keller, specifically). I'm a big central market fan, but missed the Brazil fest last month and keep reading about the cool Brazilian cuts of meat that were available for cooking.

---