Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

beef jerky w/ grid extender is on

SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,666
Trying something new since in don't have a can for my fire to keep it low and slow. I placed my mini fire bowl in the large to contain. Put some charcos in there and we will see how it goes. Aimining for 150-170 degrees.

Not sure why my cab bottom round had so much fat but , we will see how it turns out. Still ran out of real estate, see you in 8 hours.

imageimage
Seattle, WA
·

Comments

• CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,047
    I'll bet very interested to see how this turns out.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • DeviledeggerDeviledegger Posts: 235
    @SkinnyV I'm curious how your jerky was. I made some venison jerky but was nervous to eat it because it was rubbery. Not as "dehydrated" as I'd have liked. It was probably fine. Please full me in because I really want to make this work.
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,666
    @ 5 hrs I threw in some used lump ... Not sure I started with enough. Temp never passed 180 or so. Little greasy but its a hit and will be gone.

Pulled at 6.5 hours. Not sure mini fire bowl helped , anyone done sub 200 degrees with no help in the large?

imageimageimage
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 681
    I did 170 - 175 for 5 hours with just a hi-q grate today. Had about a third of a load of lump left after a 10 hour brisket cook yesterday. Stirred it up a bit, added to it, lit it and as soon as I had a few coals going shut it down to almost nothing. Held 175 great. He one little dip to about 150, opened it a smidge for 5 minutes and that was cleared up, had one spike to 200 for a few minutes when a chunk of cherry got going. Shut it down for a few and that was taken care of...
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,666
    Nice to know so smaller fire bowl was overkill.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 681
    That seems like a great idea to me - I'm gonna try that just so cut down on lump usage. Hadn't tried going below 225 since I got my hi-q, so was very surprised it held up.
    ·
  • Working on sermon and cooking beef jerky as I write. I have an xl Egg and it is holding at 153 for the last 2 hours. Cooking raised indirect with mostly old lump and a touch of new. No extra work necessary. Just don't overshoot the temp when initially lighting.  
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    You can use briquettes for a lower temp as well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,661
    I use old lump in perforated large coffee can to keep temp low.
    canuckland
    ·