Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone in chuck roast ? Am I doing this right

Options
grege345
grege345 Posts: 3,515
So I seasoned up a 4lb chuck roast this morning and went outside nod lit the egg. The roast sat for an hour at room temperature for an hour while I got the temp settled in at 250. So here is the question. I put it in an hour ago and it's already sitting at 160 degrees. Should I be worried? Should I expect a stall shortly? Should I still wrap at 165 degrees and wrap? Getting a little nervous here
LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    That seems very fast to me. How are you checking your temp?? I did 2 chuckies yesterday and it took 5 or so hrs to hit 160IT cooking at 250 grid temp

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • grege345
    Options
    Using a maverick. Hasn't let me down yet and the dome therm was just calibrated. I'm wondering if its the bone. It's only like 2-1/2 inches thick. This roast is not store bought. It's from half a cow I get each year

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Seems fast to me too, but if it's thin and 4 lbs, I guess it's possible.  Personally, I wouldn't wrap it. Cook it just like pork shoulder but take it off a little higher, like 205-210.  Then pull it, it'll be great.

Just to be safe, when you're done, boil some water and check your Maverick to make sure it's reading right so you can be confident in your readings for next time.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• grege345
    Options
    @ChokeOnSmoke I wish I had read that about an hour ago. It stalled at around 165 for about an hour. That made me happy but once it hit 167 I had a decision to make. Wrapping has been pretty popular with chuck roasts so that's what I did. I put it in a pan with a package of Lipton onion soup mix and some Italian dressing. Heats been moving up quick since I wrapped. Right now it's at 200. I'll be checking with a skewer here in a few minutes

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    I was very suprised on how s-l-o-w beef cooks for pulling!
  • grege345
    Options
    Well didn't turn out very good. Chucked most of it. Never broke down enough to pull. IT was 208 when I was done. Can't win them all. Maybe it was too thin. Maybe the bone in it hurt. Any ideas? Next time ill do with a store bought chuck

• grege345
    Options
    Pics

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    grege345 said:
    Well didn't turn out very good. Chucked most of it. Never broke down enough to pull. IT was 208 when I was done. Can't win them all. Maybe it was too thin. Maybe the bone in it hurt. Any ideas? Next time ill do with a store bought chuck
    Sorry to hear that.  Mine usually finish at about 205-210 but I've taken the stubborn ones up to 215 - you just never know with beef.  The specific cut is important too.  There's so many different names for "chuck roast".  I've found that bottom roast and top roast don't pull well at all. At grocery stores, look for chuck roast, pot roast or clod.  Better yet, ask the butcher what they call "beef shoulder".  Good luck next time, once you nail one, it'll be one of the best things you've ever had on the egg!
    Packerland, Wisconsin