Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pulled Pork first-timer

EggCattivoEggCattivo Posts: 11
Hi group!
New here, got my Egg a few weeks ago and love it!! Today it's my first try on a PP. So excited :-)))))
Egg seems to be stable at 220 now and I will sit here just watching and enjoying the next hours :-)

One question: Do you mop your PP (closer to finish time) or just leave the lid closed until meat temp has reached desired value (200?). 

Prost!
·

Comments

• PharmeggistPharmeggist Posts: 1,191

I just Leave the lid closed until it reaches 200.  When it is done I take it up and double wrap it in foil and let it rest for about 30 minutes approximately.  Then I shred the meat in a stainless steel bowl with two forks because its pretty hot still.  During the 30 minute rest time I am finishing up the sides for the meal :+)

Happy Egging, Pharmeggist

·
  • EggCattivoEggCattivo Posts: 11
    Thanks, Pharmeggist. So no mopping for me today, too :-)
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,609
    edited June 2013
    I agree... no mopping necessary. I did a couple last weekend. I FTC'd mine for about 4 hours. When I unwrapped them for pulling the IT was still 160.

And, BTW, welcome to the lifestyle.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @EggCattivo good luck and lid closed if your looking your not cooking
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • bvdwbvdw Posts: 37
    close the lid and cook. I never open the lid... comes out great

·
  • shadowcastershadowcaster Posts: 561
    I did my first butt a few weeks ago and I did not mop it and it turned out great. 
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Weber Performer.
    If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went
    ·
  • EggCattivoEggCattivo Posts: 11
    Thanks people! You were right. No mopping, now locking, and it turned out great. Next saturday the next pork butt will find it's way into the EGG :-)
    ·