Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cooking grid maintenance

All,
I've been enjoying my new Large Egg over the last three weeks and I have a question about maintaining the cooking grid.  I've upgraded from using a Weber kettle the last 9 years and at the end of each cook I would scrape it down with a brush and let it burn off while the charcoal died down.  However over time it would start to rust and once a year I'd have to go buy a new one because the surface was so bad.  Will the Egg's grid hold out better?  Is there anything I need to do to maintain the surface?
Franklin, TN
Large BGE+PSWoo2

Comments

• I have had my egg for 1 year now. No rust and all i do is simply clean the grate with a grill brush before my next use. Its stainless steel and I have had no problems with mine whatsoever. I allow the grate to stay dirty until my next cook that way the surface is "coated" I also keep my egg covered and ensure that the moisture is burnt off in the egg before putting the ceramic top on to shut it down. 

Hope that makes sense. 
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I have my own system, and keep mine looking pretty good.  The following day, clean them with a brillo pad.  I have a sink and hose right near the egg, so it's easy.  A couple of the weber grill will get some surface rust if not used regularly, and i will re-brillo them before i use them.  Staying after it makes keeping them clean - easy.