Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Father's Day ribeyes

Options
I'm looking for a ribeye recipe to impress all. My equipment that I have is a BGE, plate setter, remote thermometer, no CI grid, CI griddle Should I go reverse sear, trex and any rub ideas would be greatly appreciated. Happy Father's Day to all

Comments

• SpreadEagleBeagle
    Options
    Oil, cracked pepper and kosher salt. Sear as hot as you can get your egg for a minute or two each side depending on thickness for med rare. Steak is about cut and quality not flashy gadgets and endless minutiae--let the meat speak for itself.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

Oil, cracked pepper and kosher salt. Sear as hot as you can get your egg for a minute or two each side depending on thickness for med rare. Steak is about cut and quality not flashy gadgets and endless minutiae--let the meat speak for itself.

I agree with everything but the oil.

Oil isn't going to add anything and could possibly impart a bad flavor as it will burn at high searing temps. Do one with and one without, and you'll never add oil again. If you want to add fat, finish your steak with garlic butter during rest.

With good meat, S&P and let the beef speak for itself.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    If you want to try a reverse sear you can use the CI griddle as the indirect piece.  You need some kind of raised grid.  Doesn't have to be anything fancy.  You could just use a foil pan sitting on top of the griddle with some kind of rack on top.  Roast the steaks at 275ish until they are 120-125ish. Remove the steaks and the raised grid.  Let the steaks rest while the egg/griddle heats up.  Hit them for 60-90 seconds per side to put a crust on them. 

I did this using a griddle on the "grill pan" side, but I think it would work great on a flat griddle as well.  I used a raised grid and used a foil drip pan sitting on top of the griddle to catch the drippings during the roast.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cul-de-sac-er
    Options
    Great input...thanks guys and have a great Father's Day