Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermapen or the Thermapen TW8060 Kit

Options
My wife is buying me which ever one I select for Father's Day.
Any comments, pros, cons. Let me know what you would do.

Thanks
Smokin'Jacket

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    If you have neither, Thermapen first. It is likely the best accessory to improve one's cooking.

Two different animals. Instant vs. monitor. 
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    Options
    the new backlit Thermopen
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'd go for the TW8060, costs way more.  Then order the Thermapen for yourself.

New backlit thermapen for sure.  Then down the road you can order the maverick dual probe that everyone likes, with alarm, for monitoring your low/slo cooks.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited June 2013
    Options
    I change my tune. What nola said. Get the TW8060 first. With some of the accessories you can get it, it could be double the price of the Thermapen(like the pro BBQ kit). The only downside is that it isn't wireless. A baby monitor fixes this. 

EDIT: I may be in the minority, but I hate my Maverick. It has been wildly inaccurate but hey, I got it for 20% off.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Now using my partyQ and maverick and dome and thermopen, I've seen variations between them all. The maverick can be right by the parryQ and its 20-30 degrees off. The thermapen says the partyQ is right.

Maverick was 30-40$ and hasn't burnt anything yet.

Ha but Nola has write idea, the most expensive one for a present. Even though its prolly your money, you don't need permission to spend it later.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    If you get the BBQ lot eggcelsior was talking about you may not need a thermapen

XLBGE 
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Options
    I agree with nola. Wise advice in IMHO
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A valuable lesson to learn about egging, is that when someone offers to buy you accessories, always get the more expensive one first. When you get the less expensive accessory anyways at some pint down the road, its waaay easier to justify/slip past SWMBO/hide in the garage. :D

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options

Okay, this is pretty interesting.  I have a Thermapen, which I've had for 2 1/2 years.  Just flat love it.

This talk about the TW8060 kit kinda rings my bell.  In studying the Thermoworks web site, it seems the full load, the BBQ Pro kit isn't actually a remote function setup.  Am I reading this right?  If no remote function (set it up and monitor it from somewhere in the house), I don't see a lot of value to it.  Am I reading the description wrong?

Any help much appreciated, if you can straighten me out.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    It doesn't have remote capability.  You can use a baby monitor if that's important to you.  It does have all the alarms.

Do you have a remote on your kitchen oven? 
    Options
    @jaydub58, you are not wrong. It does not have a wireless feature. This is fixed with a cheap baby monitor. The value is in the quality of the product.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    jaydub58  Scroll down and read about the TW8060 here
    Options
    Thanks, Eggcelsior, that does make sense.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    With 2 of their 10 foot extension cables for the thermocouples, mine reaches inside the sun room and on loud I can hear it in my bedroom, but it would be easy to use the baby monitor if you are too far away. 
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • SmokinTiger81
    Options
    Well, looks like I was on the wrong side of this vote.  One thing I do note--the nice thing about Maverick wireless remote is not just the alarm, it let's you carry it around in the house, garage etc, so you can keep an actual eye on the grate temp and meat temp at a glance so you know if you need to adjust vents a little here and there.
  • Deviledegger
    Deviledegger Posts: 271
    Options
    I really like the TW8060. I often times hook the gator clip to the grill and run it on port 1 (which is the alarm port). It will alarm me if grid temp goes to high or low. Then when I am approaching the end of the cook I switch ports so the probe is in port 1. That way I am alarmed when IT is getting close. Thermapen is next for me but I would def. go with the TW8060.
  • Smokin' Jacket
    Options
    Thanks for the advice...I let her know that I prefer the TW8060. Order has been placed.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    You won't regret it!
    Options
    I love my TW8060 with the probes but I also have stoker so if I need it to go wireless, what I do is connect the thermocouple probes to my stoker with an adapter and voila...I have wireless :)

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts