Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on Adhesive for Rutland Gasket

I'm replacing my gasket today with a Rutland.  I bought the Permatex ultra copper adhesive, but I noticed it is marked for up to 700 degrees.  The tube of adhesive that comes with the Rutland indicates it can go up to 2,000 degrees.  That said, I have seen many posts on this forum indicating the Permatex is far superior.   Help!  Which should I use?
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Permatex. The Rutland adhesive is water based and will fail. Trust me, I know from experience. The rim of your egg will never hit 700
    Mark Annville, PA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    was me, i would use the rutland first and if it doesnt work apply the silicone. the rutland is hit or miss, when it works it is indestructible. the rutland product has an expiration date hidden in the codes or atleast it used to
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Isn't the expiration date in regards to the uncured product in the tube?  I would think that once it has cured, it should last for a very long time, if not the life of your egg.

FWIW, I just did my Rutland install with the copper Permatex last weekend.   Haven't had a chance to cook on it yet.  Tonight will be the first go.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Permatex.  Make sure you prep the surface well by removing the old gasket and degreasing.  The silicone stays flexible which helps it with all the mechanical abuse the gasket takes.
    I used the rutland not knowing any better on my large . Hoping it holds my large doesn't see temps over 450 but if and when it fails i will use the permatex . Had I known I'd have went with the permatex .
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    My Rutland-Ultracopper is about 4 years old. IF it ever needs replacing, I will do it all over again. It laughs at 900° pizza cooks. By the way, the "decorator orange" color fades to brown and eventually to invisible. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    How long should I let it cure?  And should I close the lid or leave it open?  I am putting the gasket on the bottom only.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It dries pretty fast but I would let it go overnight before using it.  I think I closed the lid to seat the gasket but opened it after 15 minutes or so to help let it cure faster.  I don't think it matters.  Just don't not seat the gasket. 

You might need to adjust the bands to get a good seal...You might want to do this before the silicone cures.
    I gave mine 24 hours to cure before using. I left the dome closed the entire time. After it cured I did the dollar bill test and made adjustments.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • BGEGP
    BGEGP Posts: 47
    Where should I get a Rutland Gasket?   I checked Ace Hardware and all they had was 3/8" tape and some Rutland rope.
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Permatex package says it cures in 1 hour to touch, then permanently in 24 hours - at 70F.  I let mine cure several days because of my work schedule.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167

Use Permatex, close lid for a few seconds, and open to see if you have any sticky areas.  If not, close lid to seat it well.  Cure for 24 hours.

Rutland sealed with Permatex Is the best.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I bought mine at my egg dealer. He is also a dealer for wood stoves, pellet stoves, etc. Any Hearth store should carry it.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • TEggSun
    TEggSun Posts: 244
    Thanks for the tips, everyone.  The Rutland is installed with Permatex.  I'm going to break it in tomorrow.