Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Innocence lost.

Hi all, I purchased a LBGE a couple months ago and have spiralled down the darkest path of addiction of my life, and love it!
It is a huge learning curve, but even the failures are amazing compared to what I use to consider as "food".
Posting a few shots that were taken with my mobile, so not sure of the quality, but learned from lurking on the forum, no pic - it never happened.
Cheers.
Egg and nest.
First attempt at lamb.
Bbq chicken with jerk seasoning.
Ribs.
·

Comments

• Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    Looks like you've got the knack.  Welcome !

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    Nice!
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • Hokie_SmokerHokie_Smoker Posts: 478
    Looks great. Addiction is right, have you started having unsollicited conversations with co- workers about cooking on the egg yet? That's when you'll know you're crazy.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,417
    We will be calling on you for help. Welcome to the cult.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,233
    Man, great setup and cooks. Glad to have you and look forward to your posts
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Thanks all, I look forward to learning from everyone here. There is so much one can do with an Egg.
    Yes Hokie - those conversations have occured and thankfully there are a core of bbq/smoker fanatics @ work that also love to share recipes and tips, so I don't seem crazy to some...
    ·
  • Good-looking cooks!  Welcome to the madhouse.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Welcome, looks like you are off to a great start
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,947
    Welcome and great cooks!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • If those are failures, I can't wait for pix of your successes!  Welcome!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,241
    Welcome @Trini_in_Ottawa. I agree with @Fred19Flintstone!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome!  Way to come out swinging...those are some fine looking cooks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Welcome, those cooks look very nice. Cool set up as well. 
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,516
    Yes, the Egg is great inducement to cooking. Remember. Portion control! It will be way to easy to go into feeding frenzy.

Wait till you start telling your co-workers about the great place you've found to score lump. Or running over to the neighbors and ask if you can have some bits of the tree they are cutting down because you can';t ever have enough different kinds of smoking wood...
    ·
    gdenby said:
    Yes, the Egg is great inducement to cooking. Remember. Portion control! It will be way to easy to go into feeding frenzy.

Wait till you start telling your co-workers about the great place you've found to score lump. Or running over to the neighbors and ask if you can have some bits of the tree they are cutting down because you can';t ever have enough different kinds of smoking wood...
    or your significant other gets fed up with all of the pictures you take getting your food prepped, cooking on the egg and plating the results!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Welcome aboard and great start.  A game-changer as you are aware.  An observation-I use a nest not table but it doesn't look like you have an air gap between BGE, slab and table.  Most seasoned table owners here recommend an air gap as extra insulation.  FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,037
    Welcome Trini, always room in the asylum, specially for another Canuck - assume that given the frost on the table...
    Great cooks, like the submariner says, get an air gap under that egg and use the ceramic cap, park the DFMT inside the egg when you snuff it. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    Welcome Trini, always room in the asylum, specially for another Canuck - assume that given the frost on the table...
    Great cooks, like the submariner says, get an air gap under that egg and use the ceramic cap, park the DFMT inside the egg when you snuff it. 
    Ottawa, being the capital of Canada (i.e. the place where the Canadian President lives) would have been another good clue.
    @TexanOfTheNorth made a funny. I love it! 
    ·
  • Thanks for all the advise - will look at adding an air gap - should I put the legs on or use something else? Not sure what experienced eggers use to create a gap. Any directions would be appreciated.
    I have a cover that I put on when everything cools down.
    Yes Skid - Ottawa can be a bit "brisk" sometimes during the year, but frost is better than snow!
    ·
  • CANMAN1976CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,558
    Hey bud nice to hear of another Canuck . Me I'm just going with a table nest no paver or stone,I'm told a two inch air gap is sufficient enough!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol cock

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,037
    Like Canman says, the nest is nice and that's what I use, but you already have everything built for the paver. The little green feet which used to come with eggs are ideal, but they are hard to find. You are looking for anything that wont burn that is between 1.5 cm to 2.5 cm. Three copper elbows or T's would work. 
    @CANMAN1976 - My MBGE in a table nest throws enough heat that the tiles under it get warm, but never hot. Much like my woodstove, I'm a believer in leaving about 1.5 cm of ash in the bottom of the egg. 
    IMGP2480.jpg 875.1K
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Welcome

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 1,655
    Wow, soon enough we may have enough eggheads from the Ottawa area on the forum to organize an eggfest!

Welcome from sunny Charleston.  Come on in, waters fine!

MBGE in Charleston

·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,947
    @Trini_in_Ottawa: are you from Trinidad per chance? If so, we need some Trini grub posted up in here!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Great cooks - keep posting!  
    ·
  • Thanks for the warm welcome all - much appreciated.
    Caliking - Trinidadian by birth, Canadian by circumstance.
    I actually make curry goat on the Egg a couple weeks ago.
    *posting below*
    The Egg can pretty much do anything in my mind...I am going to put a cape with an S on mine soon :)
    Curry Goat in Dutch oven
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    Yes dudes! Now we are getting into some food!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356

Yes dudes! Now we are getting into some food!

Can't wait! The diversity here is making my head spin. Wish I had time to try cooking all this stuff.
    Mamaroneck
    ·