Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Lump Price vs. Performance

So here's the dilemma.  I can get 17 pound bags of American Royal Oak at wally world for $10, or 10 pound bags of Ozark Oak for the same price at a specialty store a bit further away.  Is OO that much better?  I have burned both limitedly, and have found no appreciable difference.
Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

Comments

• SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,742
    edited June 2013
    I dont do walmart but that price is tempting on RO. I think kroeger (ro) i pay $7 for 8.5 lb bag. Guessing
    Seattle, WA
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    I usually don't either, but was stuck there for other reasons.  It seemed like a good deal.

• Mr. DMr. D Posts: 32
    Trying " Kebroak" 40# purchased from Amazon. If you are " Amazon Prime " it ships for free.

Did one cook and it appears the way to go. Will post results later
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,074
    edited June 2013
    I really like Ozark Oak.   I've always had pretty good luck with Royal Oak as well, but I would definitely choose OO if the price was comparable. 

You are talking $.59 per lb vs $1/lb though, and a longer drive which isn't insignificant.  Honestly I don't know I would say I can notice that OO is 40% better...I would probably get the RO until the OO ferry can find his way back to my neck of the woods. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 715
    I love BGE lump, but for less than half the price I've been using RO. Works just fine.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • TexasCraneTexasCrane Posts: 21

I love BGE lump but for less than half the price I've been using RO. Works just fine.

Since bge lump and ro are the same thing, I would hope it works just fine. :)
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Royal Oak makes BGE lump.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • burr_baby33burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Ozark for me.
  • SamFerriseSamFerrise Posts: 544
    Most of the so called good lumps are only available by email order, however, after shipping they get rather expensive.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    TEggSun said:
    So here's the dilemma.  I can get 17 pound bags of American Royal Oak at wally world for $10, or 10 pound bags of Ozark Oak for the same price at a specialty store a bit further away.  Is OO that much better?  I have burned both limitedly, and have found no appreciable difference.
    At those prices, I'd get the Royal Oak.  I love OO, but I love RO too.  Pretty comparable in my mind.  So, price rules in that showdown.
    The Naked Whiz
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,127
    I'm with the whiz. I would go for what's more reasonably priced and readily available. If you can't tell any difference in the taste of your grub when you use either charcoal, then that's what counts most. The rest of us don't eat at your house nearly as much as you do :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    Thanks, @the_naked_whiz and @caliking.  Well said by both of you.

• jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,767

The 3 brands I would get are Royal Oak, Royal Oak, and Royal Oak.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon