Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Kamado Joe Lump

Picked up a bag of this from Ace last week. Cooked Steaks tonight and this lump burns hot with no smoke and was ready for food in 10 min. Looks like this is my choice of lump!!
Brandon, MS

Comments

• SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 1,171
    If it is a really hot fast burn will it last for a 16 hour brisket?
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
  • loveTheEggloveTheEgg Posts: 559

If it is a really hot fast burn will it last for a 16 hour
    brisket?

Good question! Again, I was doing steaks around 600. I shall find out about the low and slow.

Brandon, MS
  • EazyEEazyE Posts: 58
    I agree that it is a great brand of lump. I have been using it for a while now. I did a butt that took 17 plus hours and no problems at all. Actually had lots of lump left after that. I have heard people say that it is the exact same lump as wicked good lump, just branded different for Kamado Joe... Not sure if it is or not, but for the guys that hate wicked good now, maybe this is a good alternative.
  • The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I know I keep promising reviews, but this one is third on the list, FWIW....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,958
    Maybe I should send you a bag of Maple Leaf so you can re-review

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked WhizThe Naked Whiz Posts: 7,780
    I have two, lol!  They are 10 years old, however.  Saving them for some cook of the century.
    The Naked Whiz
    I hear it's not available in the US anymore which is a good reason to downgrade the quality

Steve 

Caledon, ON

Didn't think so

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    I was reading on another board and they posted pics of the old vs new kj lump.  the new is from Argentina and is 22lbs. where the old is 20 lb. bags.  There is also a difference of color of the grill on the bag.  The Argentinian has a red grill on the bag whereas the other has a black grill on it. The Argentinian is what I got last week and it is much better than the stuff I tried last year.
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 8,079
    Sounds like good stuff. What is the approx price/lb?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SandBillySandBilly Posts: 224
    It is good lump, about $1.10 a lb here.
  • jeroldharterjeroldharter Posts: 514
    If it is the same as Wicked Good, how can it be an alternative to Wicked Good?
  • EazyEEazyE Posts: 58
    Good point. What I meant is even though it is the same, you wouldn't be buying Wicked good for the guys that hate Wicked good. It would be the same quality, but just going to Kamado Joe, and not Wicked good...
  • TydfanTydfan Posts: 40

I was told by a KJ sales rep last week that their charcoal is packaged by Wicked Good.  No difference, just in a KJ bag.

• brycosbrycos Posts: 137
    caliking said:
    Sounds like good stuff. What is the approx price/lb?
    I paid $19 for 22 lbs. (in NC)