Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex gaskets any good?

I need to replace my gasket on the medium. What do you folks think of the Nomex gaskets? Are the ones on EBay any good? I think the ones that are self adhesive would be easiest to use too.

Comments

• I started making my own a while back out of high heat silicone because I kept burning them off while searing steaks and tuna. They worked better than anything I've ever bought, but I've been lazy and havent had a gasket on for about a year now with no problems. Just need to make sure your seal is tight.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have a nomex gasket that BGE sent me when the original felt melted after a couple of months. It's still in the package it came in. If I were to buy one, I would order an aramid fabric strip from these guys. Aramid is the generic name for Nomex.

I decided to go with a Rutland using Permatex ultracopper as the adhesive. It is now four years old, has been through a number of 900° pizza cooks and still works as new. Aside from being a little dirty, it almost LOOKS new. IF it ever dies, I will buy more. Plus, you don't have to install it on the dome. Base only is just fine.

This pic was taken about two months ago...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited June 2013

I have the Cotronics gaskets if you want one.  1/8" woven ceramic tape, just needed on the bottom half.  $12 shipped for the Medium.  You can use 3M Super 77 or Permatex UltraCopper.

Nomex will still break down, it just doesn't melt like standard stuff does.  I torched one of my old flight suits with a weed burner just to see how it would hold up.  It's not an insulator, it's just doesn't burn or melt like polyester does.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777

I have the Cotronics gaskets if you want one.  1/8" woven ceramic tape, just needed on the bottom half.  $12 shipped for the Medium.  You can use 3M Super 77 or Permatex UltraCopper.

Nomex will still break down, it just doesn't melt like standard stuff does.  I torched one of my old flight suits with a weed burner just to see how it would hold up.  It's not an insulator, it's just doesn't burn or melt like polyester does.

Correct.  Aramid chars.  If this freaking rain ever stops, I'm going to repeat my Eggware Rain Cap test with a nomex gasket.  Should be fun, no matter what.  This time, I'll have the video camera running.
    The Naked Whiz
  • stlcharcoal
    edited June 2013

I tried the self adhesive Contronics instead of the supplied one.  It fell off once the dome temp got 600F.  Contronics said the -PS series self adhesive is for "placement only" to "aid in glue application"  I'm back to the plain 395 or 397 series with UltraCopper or Super77

Have you ever tried the Cotronics?  I'll send you a length if you want to review it.  I have it on all three Eggs--bottom half only.  Then I use the scraps to line the inside of the rain cap and DFMT.

NOTE:  This is the third time I've posted this.....keeps saying, "needs approval". 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I don't know the ones on E-Bay, but I replace about once a year on both my large and small with the BGE self-adhesive and they work just fine!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Carolina Q
    smbishop said:
    I don't know the ones on E-Bay, but I replace about once a year on both my large and small with the BGE self-adhesive and they work just fine!
    Once a year?! Man, get a Rutland! Mine is 4+ years old and shows no sign of needing replacement. Cost is about 80¢ a foot around here, Plus a tube of ultracopper which should be good for 2-3 gaskets. I won't be surprised if I still have the same gasket in another 4 years!

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• stlcharcoal
    smbishop said:
    Once a year?! Man, get a Rutland! Mine is 4+ years old and shows no sign of needing replacement. Cost is about 80¢ a foot around here, Plus a tube of ultracopper which should be good for 2-3 gaskets. I won't be surprised if I still have the same gasket in another 4 years!
    Same here w/ Contronics.  3+ yrs and going strong.  I have Super77 on one, and UltraCopper on another--both doing great!  Best part is that woven ceramic doesn't absorb water, so the Egg doesn't freeze shut in the winter!
  • Carolina Q
    I wonder if the fact that I only have the Rutland on the bottom is why it has never frozen through four Connecticut winters. Or maybe the fiberglas doesn't absorb either.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    +1 on the Rutland. They are easy to install, last forever, and cheap. I bought 9 feet for my XL and paid $7.80. A new nomex from the dealer was $30.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • qprhooligan
    qprhooligan Posts: 126
    OK thanks for all the advice and offers. I think I will try the Rutland. Can anyone tell me exactly what type and where I can get it?

Thanks again.
  • cortguitarman
    5/8 inch flat gasket. Any stove/fireplace shop will have it. I believe it is available at Ace also. Use permatex ultra copper for adhesive. You can get the adhesive at an autoparts store. Do not use the Rutland adhesive. It won't hold up outside. Check out the Naked Whiz's web site for installation instructions. Not sure of the length for a medium. I used 9' for my XL and I believe the Whiz's site recommends 8' for the large.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • stlcharcoal
    5/8 inch flat gasket. Any stove/fireplace shop will have it. I believe it is available at Ace also. Use permatex ultra copper for adhesive. You can get the adhesive at an autoparts store. Do not use the Rutland adhesive. It won't hold up outside. Check out the Naked Whiz's web site for installation instructions. Not sure of the length for a medium. I used 9' for my XL and I believe the Whiz's site recommends 8' for the large.

56" for Medium

65" for the Large

84" for the XL

I use a 1/8" thick gasket.  It can almost run without a gasket, so not reason to have a bunch of material in the middle.

• chukknob
    chukknob Posts: 10
    Get the rutland. No issues on mine for more than a year. 10 bucks on amazon. Rutland Inc Gasket Kit Tape 7'x5/8" 95-6
    http://amzn.com/B000MIPB6S
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Rutland here too. Bottom only. Seals up nicely too - gives it a little more cushion than nomex, no smoke escapes if you put it on correctly.
    Opelika, AL
  • jfarley
    jfarley Posts: 145
    Planning my first pizza cook since I installed the Nomex the mothership sent for free after original burned through during my first pizza cook. Bought my Egg in July of last year and the burn through of the original was not unexpected. Guess I'll know how the Nomex fares after today. From the reports I've seen I'm trusting it will do o-k. That said, I will clearly go with the Rutland if/when I need my next one. Keep in mind you will likely need to adjust your dome after installing a new gasket. Mine had an under bite of about 1/2 that I had to correct.
    LBGE - July 2012
    Valencia, CA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Does using the Rutland void the Egg lifetime warranty?
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited June 2013
    just installed the rutland on my large curing it now used the rutland cement as well stuff air dries fast 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • chukknob
    hapster said:

Does using the Rutland void the Egg lifetime warranty?

Not sure why it would. But even if it did, how would BGE know? Just like Traeger used to say using other brand pellets would void warranty.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Its not original equipment, and I think if you had an issue with the base etc, it would be in any pictures possibly depending on where the issue is...

I don't think it quite as easy as say putting the original fire grate back in and removing the hi-que one 
  • cortguitarman
    @hapster I just replaced my base under warranty and it had a Rutland installed. The pics I sent to my dealer didn't show the gasket, but I didn't have to take my base back to them. Also, I peeled the Rutland off of the old base just to see how easily it would come off. Surprisingly, it came off easily, even with permatex ultra copper as the adhesive. Now getting the adhesive off of the base would be tricky, but also not necessary as bge doesn't require a specific adhesive to be used.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    hapster said:
    Its not original equipment, and I think if you had an issue with the base etc, it would be in any pictures possibly depending on where the issue is...

I don't think it quite as easy as say putting the original fire grate back in and removing the hi-que one 
    that being said the ar or swing rack with weber grids and a host of other improvement items would void it as well . i don't think any of those items would have a ill affect on the egg .its kind of like putting different wheels on your new car the dealer isn't gonna void the warranty on it because you wanted something nicer and better at least not the ones i worked at in the past 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • chukknob
    Hopefully you're not right Hapster. :). If so BGE can take their egg and sit on it. That's pretty lame. It's one thing if you sell the product with an awesome gasket (which they don't). It's another thing if you're gasket is garbage and folks have no choice but to replace it after 2 high heat cooks (like mine).