Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Arepas

calikingcaliking Posts: 5,226
edited June 2013 in EggHead Forum
Every year, folks from work go on a taco truck crawl around Houston. Its an annual event, in the heat of June. We pick several trucks to visit on a Sat afternoon, pack some beers and drive around for a few hours. The crawl ended at Mi Tienda, a Mexican grocery store owned/operated by HEB. SWMBO bought a bag of masa, and so had to do something with it.

Decided to make arepas. Not that I know how to, but I've eaten them before and liked them :).

First roasted up an ancho chile, a jalapeno from the garden, and a few cloves of garlic

Let them cool and put the lil Tuff Guy on to warm up.

Meanwhile, made the sauce. Blended up the ancho, jalapeno, garlic, scallions, avocado, cilantro with yogurt and lime juice. I wanted to make a green sauce, but the ancho made everything kind of brown. 

Formed the arepas with a burger press

Cooked the arepas on the lil Tuff Guy. Like the Baking Steel, it works best when heated to about 525-550°F.

Heated up some turkey burger patties I made some time ago (forgot when).

Plated up the burger patty on the arepa, topped with the ancho jalapeno cilantro avocado sauce, with fresh tomatoes from the garden.

Everything tasted great. loved the sauce, just didn't like its color. Even though i loved the flavor of the ancho, I will probably leave it out next time so that the sauce will look brighter.

Thanks for looking!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments