Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Virgin Egghead, First time Ribeyes

BBQJDUBBBQJDUB Posts: 43
Ok everyone,

Salt/Pepper along with some other spices and I let it sit out for 40 mins prior to going on the grill.  I had grill around 600, 2 1/2 mins first side and 3 mins on the other.  I let it rest in foil for about 20 mins prior to cutting it.  I think I will go 3 to 3 1/2 with this size steak the next time.  The steak was great but it was a little closer to rare than med. rare.  My question for the experts:  With a ribeye, should I go lower heat for a little bit longer to let the fat break down?  Either way, I think it was great for my first steak on the BGE, I did immediately take the steak off the grill after 3 mins on second side.  Some people have said close up shop and leave it in there for a bit.  Just some thoughts and I'll be checking the board as well.  I've included a before and after pic so any constructive criticism will be gladly accepted!

bbqjdub 
BBQJDUB

Charlotte, NC
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,938
    Nice looking steak... Don't over think it. Search "Trex" and that should put you on the path you're after...
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,288
    Buy a thermopen and cook to temp. Only way to get real consistent results. Looks good
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Chubbs said:
    Buy a thermopen and cook to temp. Only way to get real consistent results. Looks good
    +1 - cook to temp. I'd still eat that steak.  Looks good.  Welcome aboard.
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    You will need a Thermapen, as stated above.  Hardly ANYTHING is done by time.  Too many variables.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,977
    If you don't want it, i'll take it. looks good from here!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • brentseebrentsee Posts: 99
    At 600 I would of went 2 2 2 1 and if still too tender I may go 1 more min.  I too on steak don't use a thermo pen...
    ·