Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal - Atlanta

Options
Acorn
Acorn Posts: 163

Good evening cooking friends,

I understand there are several opinions about the charcoal we use but if you’re interested The Restaurant Depot in Atlanta has Royal Oak lump for $8.99. It’s a 17.5lb. Bag. Happy cooking.......

Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -

Comments

• Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    Options
    I'm in Woodstock, where is this place and do u have to be a member? Wally just got the big bags of RO for like $12.
  • Auburn4Life
    Options
    I found Royal Oak lump at Tractor Supply Company in Hiram last weekend.
    Dallas, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    That is where I get mine, it is on the I 85 service road just north of the perimeter west side of the interstate and yes you need to be a member. My buddy owns a restaurant that is how I get in.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    I found Royal Oak lump at Tractor Supply Company in Hiram last weekend.
    I used to live behind that Tractor Supply. Do you live in the Dallas/Hiram area?
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Vetteman
    Vetteman Posts: 19
    Options
    Got mine at restaurant depot in Charlotte. Great deal for great lump.
  • Acorn
    Options
    The restaurant depot I use is on Ellsworth Industrial Dr. close to Howell Mill Rd. You need to have a business licence to set up an account, but there is no charge to be a member. Let me know if you need more info.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • JNealLawson
    Options
    What do you all think of Cowboy lump?  Lowe's had 20 lb bags for $10.  I'm a newbie, but it's worked well for me.  How does it compare to Royal Oak lump?  Thanks.
    LBGE, 2 UDS, lots of Georgia pecan
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options

If you have a KCBS membership you can get a 1 day pass to RD. That's how i get in to the one in Norcross. Got 5 bags on Saturday.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• NEWB_IN_NOLA
    NEWB_IN_NOLA Posts: 135
    Options
    New Orleans Restaurant Depot has RO USA on sale for $8.99 for 17.8 lbs bags also for all of June.  I went yesterday and got 5 bags.  Unfortunately they had no bone-in butts under 20 lbs.  I need to take some butchering classes.
    "America has only three cities: New York, San Francisco, and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland." -Tennessee Williams
  • Acorn
    Options
    I'm only 6 months in on owning an egg, I have not tried Cowboy brand. Many users have complained about it having a lot of trash in it. The members have talked up Royal Oak so when I saw it, I grabbed a couple of bags......so far I have only used it for quick cooks (burgers, chops & steak). No problems & much cheaper than BGE lump.
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -