Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

SpareRib question

Just got me some nice spareribs. I read online that in order to turn them into St Louis ribs you need to " remove the rib tip and also the skirt flap".

Ummmm, what does this mean? LOL

·

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    See if this helps
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    ·
    Don't get rid of the meat you trim. See this recent post:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,794
    Other options for the flap meat are cook's treat or add to bbq beans.  They cook up very well-test for doneness with a toothpick-probe each piece and no reisitance in either direction and you are finished.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Guess its supposed to look like this :)
    image.jpg 1.9M
    image.jpg 2.1M
    ·
    image.jpg 1.7M
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,246
    looks like you got it, i just loaded up on spares at 1.99 a pound, i use the tips for chili usually.  its pretty solid too keep around.  not  a bad cook either, the cook faster great mid cook snack.
    ·
    Okay... fess up... you've done this before; right?
    ·
    Whats that, trim the ribs up?
    Yeah... looks like you did a great job.
  • Thanks man.. Ive mostly cooked baby backs, but wanted to try spare ribs. Upon searching the web for cooking ideas, I came across "remove the rib tip and also the skirt flap" and had no clue WTF they were talking about LOL... But your links helped me out :)  It took me about 20min to trim her up. They have been In the fridge for about 16hrs seasoned with rub. Just a few more hours to go before its cook time.

·
    Great! Don't forget to include pics of the results.

·
  • With all the extra meat that I had cut off do I simply cook it with the spareribs as well?
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,698

You trimmmed them up nicely. With practice and a good knife, you'll knock that down to just minutes. Smoke them alongside the ribs, they won't take nearly as long, especially the flap. Pull when done and munch on them or save for a "McRib" Sandwhich.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • dpittarddpittard Posts: 126
    I've made a sort of pork burnt ends with the spare's trimmings.  A delicious appetizer while you wait on the ribs to be done.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
    ·
  • EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 423
    edited June 2013
    There she is all rubbed up waiting to go on the grill.
    I put the slab and skirting on the Egg about 1 hour ago. I just opened the egg to take a peek to see how the meat was coming along especially the smaller pieces of skirting. Internal temperature on the skirting is at 175ish. The actual sparerib itself is pushing about 158deg. The grid temperature is at 250° and holding. I was expecting the sparerib to be done in approximately 5 hours, not around 2hrs. Is something wrong here? Yes, Im cooking on indirect :) 
    image.jpg 2.1M
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,794
    I have had St Louis ribs finish in around 3 hours (250*F on the dome so about 230-240 at the grid) or five hours+.  Each slab  is different-to best determine finished-use the bend test-pick up the slab by one end and if it bends around 90* it is finished.  Another test (and one for the flap and skirt meat) is the toothpick test-in and out with no resistance in the thickest part of the rib and they are done.  Looks good!
    Louisville
    ·
  • EggHeadinFloridaEggHeadinFlorida Posts: 423
    edited June 2013

DAMNIT, that sucks.. So on this track I will have ribs done in the next 45min or so.. Guess I can foil them for 3 hrs LOL.

Thank for the input. Ill try the tooth pick test here shortly and report back.

#(#(@_)$&%%@^$)%$&%^$($)%&*()@_#*(*$()@*#)@_#(*$

:-O
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,625
    I wouldn't worry too much about the temp reading on this cook.  Ribs are one exception to "cook to temp"...it is hard to get a good reading.  Keep cooking them until they pass various test (the bend test, meat pulling back from bones, toothpick slides in and out like buttah). 

@Cazzy had a great post the other day that shows some great looking spares:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • thetrimthetrim Posts: 889
    I hope you were in one if the small dry parts of the State today. I am not
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • @Cazzy had a great post the other day that shows some great looking spares:

WOW, those ribs look awesome!!!!
    ·
  • thetrim said:
    I hope you were in one if the small dry parts of the State today. I am not
    Im in Central Fl. just stopped raining here. The storms this morning didn't stop me from firing up the Egg!
    ·
    Very impressive. Nice work. St Louie's are my favorite.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • Temp is around 180ish. All sugared and honeyed up. Time for a foil and back on the Egg for a bit longer!
    image.jpg 2.3M
    ·
  • Bend test passed LOL. All sauced up and back on the egg!
    image.jpg 1.8M
    ·
    Sweet literally sweet looking ribs.  Nice job!  Way to represent the Sunshine State
    Tampa Bay, FL
    ·
  • Ready to eat! BAM!!!
    image.jpg 1.9M
    ·
  • They were a little over cooked, but the taste was awesome!
    ·