Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi all

Options
Just got the big green egg last week. First cook was this beer can chicken. One with butter and garlic the other with Dizzy Pig. How many cooks before it will be safe to bring it up to pizza temperature without ruining the gasket? I really want to do 1 tomorrow for my wife's Birthday.
"Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    I did a couple before I did pizza.  Worst case scenario you just burn your gasket.  Been cooking without mine for about a year.  Not a huge deal.

Welcome!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Gooey1
    Gooey1 Posts: 96
    Options
    Thanks
    "Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes............. Well, he eats you"
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    My gasket lasted about three months, it's gonna happen, you can still cook on the egg without a gasket -- so it ain't the end of the world.  You'll feel better when the Rutland is installed..
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    My gasket lasted about three months, it's gonna happen, you can still cook on the egg without a gasket -- so it ain't the end of the world.  You'll feel better when the Rutland is installed..
    Got one sitting in my office that I have yet to install.  Gotta get that done!
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    The new eggs come with the nomex gasket.  I'm not sure it's that important to break it in too much anymore. My last nomex lasted a year. Then I replaced it with a Rutland.  I'd say you're good to go.  There area  lot of guys who don't even use one. If you cook on your egg, you WILL have to replace the gasket as some point.  Try not to get too hung up on preserving it.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL