Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire box fused together. Help?

Options
tulocay
tulocay Posts: 1,737
I have had my egg for a few months now and love it. I recently ordered the grill extender and can't wait to try it out. That brings me to my question. Looking back on my assembly, I may have put the fire box? And the piece on top of that together incorrectly. Well, now those two parts are stuck together. I don't have the top piece sitting in the grooves of the bottom piece. Any suggestions on how to separate them so I can re-assemble? I want to put together and take advantage of the slots in the bottom piece so my grill extender will fit properly. Thanks in advance.
LBGE, Marietta, GA

Comments

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    Pictures might help. I haven't seen the new fire ring and fire box to picture in my head what your talking about. Anyways I would think a "Clean Burn" would help. I bought a used Medium a while back and the DFMT was stuck on. That helped with getting that loose.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    You might try heating the egg up and try separating while it is still hot (carefully!).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    I think he is saying that he put the firering in upside down. Can you post a pic?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Heating may help but as both pieces may expand at the same rate it might not. I agree with @Hic, pictures might help someone assist you with a better idea
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    I think you are right little Steven. I put the fire ring in upside down. Works just fine, just looking to correct before the grill extender arrives.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    You should have the grooves for the platesetter on the bottom then. If you can find some steel rod or really heavy wire coathangers bend an  L shape on the end and put them in the grooves if you can't get your hands in. Another set of hands would help. The firering has a bit of a taper and it's stuck on the walls of the egg not on the firebox.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Do y'all think the fire ring is fused to the fire box, or the fire ring, being upside down is stuck against the side of the egg?

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

You should have the grooves for the platesetter on the bottom then. If you can find some steel rod or really heavy wire coathangers bend an  L shape on the end and put them in the grooves if you can't get your hands in. Another set of hands would help. The firering has a bit of a taper and it's stuck on the walls of the egg not on the firebox.

Sorry just saw this. What he said.

XLBGE 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i would scrape the circumference between the egg and ring with a screwdriver and then lightly pry the ring off the box.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it