Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Fire box fused together. Help?

tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,737
I have had my egg for a few months now and love it. I recently ordered the grill extender and can't wait to try it out. That brings me to my question. Looking back on my assembly, I may have put the fire box? And the piece on top of that together incorrectly. Well, now those two parts are stuck together. I don't have the top piece sitting in the grooves of the bottom piece. Any suggestions on how to separate them so I can re-assemble? I want to put together and take advantage of the slots in the bottom piece so my grill extender will fit properly. Thanks in advance.
LBGE, Marietta, GA
·

Comments

• HicHic Posts: 350
    Pictures might help. I haven't seen the new fire ring and fire box to picture in my head what your talking about. Anyways I would think a "Clean Burn" would help. I bought a used Medium a while back and the DFMT was stuck on. That helped with getting that loose.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,530
    You might try heating the egg up and try separating while it is still hot (carefully!).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    I think he is saying that he put the firering in upside down. Can you post a pic?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,206
    Heating may help but as both pieces may expand at the same rate it might not. I agree with @Hic, pictures might help someone assist you with a better idea
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I think you are right little Steven. I put the fire ring in upside down. Works just fine, just looking to correct before the grill extender arrives.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,320
    You should have the grooves for the platesetter on the bottom then. If you can find some steel rod or really heavy wire coathangers bend an  L shape on the end and put them in the grooves if you can't get your hands in. Another set of hands would help. The firering has a bit of a taper and it's stuck on the walls of the egg not on the firebox.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,110
    Do y'all think the fire ring is fused to the fire box, or the fire ring, being upside down is stuck against the side of the egg?

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,110

You should have the grooves for the platesetter on the bottom then. If you can find some steel rod or really heavy wire coathangers bend an  L shape on the end and put them in the grooves if you can't get your hands in. Another set of hands would help. The firering has a bit of a taper and it's stuck on the walls of the egg not on the firebox.

Sorry just saw this. What he said.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 17,103
    i would scrape the circumference between the egg and ring with a screwdriver and then lightly pry the ring off the box.
    ·