Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Grill Extender Is Here!!

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,771
    My plan is to have the two tier setup stay that way and put it in when I need it...
    ·
    My plan is to have the two tier setup stay that way and put it in when I need it...
    ·
  • njlnjl Posts: 804
    CharlieTN said:

Here's some pics of my setup.  Finally got time to edit them some.

Here it is with the Weber Charcoal grate installed (saw the notes about positioning the bracket differently.  I'll do that next time) and sitting on top of the PS feet up.  Plenty of room inside the dome

.image

What exactly do you have in the egg there?  With the plate setter in my large, the cooking grid sits within milimeters of the gasket.  I stopped by a dealer last night hoping to pick up a medium grid, but they don't stock them.  I ended up buying the charcoal grid for a 22.5" Weber, but at 17" diameter, it's too big to use with the extender and plate setter unless I cut down the post and sleeve on the extender so the upper level sits lower.
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,031
    @njl

The newer eggs have grooves cut out for the plate setter to sit down in the fire ring. The older eggs, it sits on top of the fire ring.

Dropping the plate setter in attempts to not divert heat directly at the gasket.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
    njl said:
    CharlieTN said:

Here's some pics of my setup.  Finally got time to edit them some.

Here it is with the Weber Charcoal grate installed (saw the notes about positioning the bracket differently.  I'll do that next time) and sitting on top of the PS feet up.  Plenty of room inside the dome

.image

What exactly do you have in the egg there?  With the plate setter in my large, the cooking grid sits within milimeters of the gasket.  I stopped by a dealer last night hoping to pick up a medium grid, but they don't stock them.  I ended up buying the charcoal grid for a 22.5" Weber, but at 17" diameter, it's too big to use with the extender and plate setter unless I cut down the post and sleeve on the extender so the upper level sits lower.
    If you want to use it w/o the PS it should be fine. If you want to use the PS or elevate the bottom grid, I suggest going with the Small 13" grid on top and taking out the spacer.
    ·
    There's tons of different configurations with this thing. I haven't done much with mine because of work and life, but plan on making mine a permanent piece and chicken wing grilling machine.

·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,719
    Mine arrived, thanks guys for the effort to make this happen. Interesting read about all the possibilities, will be using this for sure.
    ·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    Weber 7431 (14.5") on LBGE with plate setter - grid at felt. Great fit inside. Grid was about $9.
    Mamaroneck
    ·
  • Mama RoneckMama Roneck Posts: 356
    And for those of you concerned about sagging with the cheaper grate...
    Mamaroneck
    ·
    There's tons of different configurations with this thing. I haven't done much with mine because of work and life, but plan on making mine a permanent piece and chicken wing grilling machine.

·

And for those of you concerned about sagging with the cheaper grate...

Nice!

·
  • dawsonhulldawsonhull Posts: 105
    edited June 2013
    Cooked a pizza on the upper grid tonight. I removed the spacer so it would close with the stone on top - otherwise it would rub a little bit. It sagged JUST a little bit under the heavy stone but it turned out great!
    image.jpg 2.5M
    image.jpg 1.8M
    image.jpg 1.9M
    ·
  • First test drive this weekend.  Went great.  Sorry no pics.  Loaded top and bottom with ribs then did hotdogs for the little ones.  Worked like a charm.  Thanks again for the work in setting this up.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

·
  • TEggSunTEggSun Posts: 214
    While I know I am far too late for the group buy, can anyone tell me how to purchase one of these?
    Transplanted from Austin, Texas to Medina, Ohio

·
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,068
    I got mine last week and used it the same day. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Reisterstown, MD
    ·
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 507
    TEggSun said:
    While I know I am far too late for the group buy, can anyone tell me how to purchase one of these?
    PM @Eggcelsior for details.
    -Jody Newell (LBGE & a mini BGE!)
    ·
  • EvilsportsEvilsports Posts: 27
    Have any other Canadians received there extender yet?  I'm waiting for mine, wanted to make sure I'm not the only one.
    ·
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 93
    edited June 2013
    TEggSun said:
    Sent you a PM
    Cedar Park, TX
    ·
  • CaptpabloCaptpablo Posts: 51

@hoffmand please send me the details as well! I'm interested.

·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,150
    @Captpablo hit me up for details. You can still order.

@Evilsports, your unit shipped on 6/13 
    ·
  • hoffmandhoffmand Posts: 93
    Captpablo said:

@hoffmand please send me the details as well! I'm interested.

I just told TEggSun that he can find them locally to him (Austin area).  I didn't want to sound like a shill for my friend's store.

But I think you can still get in on the group buy.  Just PM Eggcelsior.
    Cedar Park, TX
    ·
  • EvilsportsEvilsports Posts: 27
    @Eggcelsior can you hook me up with a tracking number?  Two weeks is longer than normal for shipping from the U.S.A.

Thanks.
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,591
    THREAD REHASH;
    I am sorry I missed this group buy.  Does everyone still love it?  How can I get one or two still?
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • @500 it is a nice addition to the egg. It is not as nice as a swing rack from ceramic grill works but it does the job. Send a PM to @eggcelsior. He arranged the group buy. Perhaps he has contact info for the company.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • TackmanTackman Posts: 223
    Chicken wings and green grass. Awesome. Haven't seen green grass in awhile. I'm jealous. Going to cook some wings tomorrow. Good looking cook.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    ·
  • jtippersjtippers Posts: 510
    @eggcelsior hooked me up with one a couple of weeks ago... With the extra grates I purchased to go along with it, it was half the price of the swing rack and has all the utility minus the cast iron.
    LBGE April 2011 • SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013
    ·
    What do you say, Beaker? Can I get one? Or have they all gone up in flames? http://idiotprufs.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/labs_firepaper.jpg
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,150
    @500, you can still get one.
    ·
    Cool Eggs.  How might I get one?  Pony Express, Carrier Pigeon, Golden Retriever?
    ·
  • @500, you can still get one.
    @Eggcelsior - Can I still get one?
    Large BGE from Normal, IL 
    ·