Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Is this worth 400?

Guy will build it for me plus any stain and poly finish the table any color I want for 400?  He'll also deliver to my house....

image.jpeg 2.1M
·

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    What kind of wood is he using. I'd want at least an inset for a non-wooden work service to have a place for some prep work and to set something hot.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Looks similar to the BGE table design, so from that standpoint it is probably a pretty good deal since the BGE table is significantly higher.  However like @TexanOfTheNorth, I would rather have a hard working surface, i.e., granite, concrete, tile, etc.  I know a guy who builds them for about the same price with about half the tabletop being granite.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,061
    By the looks of it there isn't even 100$ worth of material there. I'd say di it yourself.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • StreetgliderStreetglider Posts: 103
    Three times the cost of materials is the old mantra for woodworking projects that I was taught.

LBGE, Grill Extender, 5 burner Char-Broil gasser that hold my eggessories
    ·
  • EddieK76EddieK76 Posts: 415
    Guy said about 150 in materials is what the materials cost is....

The problem is I have no tools to build a table like this so me building a table is simply out of the question.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,055

Couple of things I noticed.

1. Looks like he used deckboards for uprights could be wrong there
    2. Moment connection on the axles
    3. Seams on the tabletop would be hard to clean
    4. Shawdy finish around the uprights
    5. No clearance around the egg...real hazard
    6. egg on paver with no air gap.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • If you like it and you can't build one yourself, then whatever price you are willing to spend is the right price. 

I stopped fighting my inner demons. We're on the same side now.
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,061
    If building your own is not an option I would pull the trigger. @ little Steven concerns are legit so I'd pass them on to the builder. Shouldn't cost anymore. One more thing. I would go with smooth top hardwood plywood instead of the T1 -11
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • HiggyHiggy Posts: 34
    Just think if you are getting it made, request the upright wood to be bigger, the egg weighs a ton. If you have the space I would request a bigger top surface, you could never have enough.
    At the end of the day...It's the end of the day!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    I had about $500 in mine. Ipe frame, slate tile, epoxy grout, casters
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·