Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Things I relearned the hard way

CPARKTX
CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
1. Wine makes you forget the obvious

2. Metal placed on a flaming grill tends to get hot...very hot

3. If you're used to wood skewers, metal skewers have very different heat absorption characteristics.

I'm licking my wounds, but fortunately my fingers still taste like shrimp.
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    If pay to have seen that.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Ouch!  Hope you're OK.  I relearn #1 all the time, probably because of #1.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    LOL

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggucator
    Eggucator Posts: 226
    I once grabbed my placesetter without putting on my oveglove.  Lucky I was low and slowing it so I only got a quick 225 burn.  I was on my first beer so my reaction time was pretty good. Still hurt like hell and blistered up. Typing was a SOB for the next week but I am fairly sure I can no longer be identified for previous crime I may have committed :))
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    wooden handles on metal skewers should be made of oak or hickory
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Been there and done that. I have realized that alcohol and testosterone, both dumb you to the ninth planet. But they are awesome.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Doc_Eggerton
    You want real fun, lose focus in a welding shop and put your hand on the nearest piece of metal.

Worst burn I got on the Egg was picking up a wok with inadequate gloves.  Thanks to the welding experience I was able to tough it out and set the wok on the deck as opposed to tossing it in the pool.  Still have smooth skin over that one.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Aviator
    You want real fun, lose focus in a welding shop and put your hand on the nearest piece of metal.

Doc, I once lost focus when dimpling the aluminum skin of an aircraft wing that I am building with a pneumatic squeezer.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Doc_Eggerton
    Aviator said:

Doc, I once lost focus when dimpling the aluminum skin of an aircraft wing that I am building with a pneumatic squeezer.
    Got to watch that, Lefty.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Yowza. Hope you heal quickly.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Aviator
    Cpark, sorry to hear and all you said is so true. Moar amber stuff is called for here. For rehab purposes.

Chattanooga, TN.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665

Worst burn I got on the Egg was picking up a wok with inadequate gloves.  Thanks to the welding experience I was able to tough it out and set the wok on the deck as opposed to tossing it in the pool.  Still have smooth skin over that one.

worst burn ive got was skinning my knuckles over a piese of galvanized decking i just cut with a torch.  something special about galvey burns, puts a tear in your eyes

:D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Ah, the sweet, sweet smell of vaporized zinc.  Nice coating on the eyeballs too.