Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Question on using wood chips

I have another newbie questions for all the experts out there.  I have been trying to use wood chips like cherry, hickory, or apple to provide flavor to the meats I am smoking on the egg but I don't seem to have any of those flavors in the meat when they are done.  I was wondering do most people use wood chips or chucks when trying to add flavor to their meats they are smoking?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
·

Comments

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,857
    If I am doin big meats like butt or brisket I use chunks, for chicken or fish I use chips.

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,881
    I jsu throw a few handful of chips just before the meat, chunks for longer cooks.
    ·
  • freedog74freedog74 Posts: 62
    Thanks for the quick replies.  I see where I am when wrong now.  This is a learning curve for me coming from a Holland gas grill but I am loving every minute of it!
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,707
    edited June 2013
    Chips vs chunks-kinda like Ford vs Chevy-basically you need to get the volume of smoke wood into the lump.  A majority use chunks but I roughly equate a healthy handful of chips to about a chunk (no scientific proof).  I find you can disperse the chips throughout much more of the lump load for an extended duration low&slow smoke-experiment and remember the chip/chunk has to be in contact with the fire for the smoke to happen. 
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • BoilereggerBoileregger Posts: 335
    IMO the quality of the wood matters much more than chips or chunks. I was getting little or no or even bad flavors from the wood I was buying from Lowes or Walmart. Then I ordered from hawgeyesbbq.com and notice a HUGE difference in flavor.
    ·
    @lousubcap- thanks for the information.  I was putting the chips in a little early according to the post by Rickard Fl so I need to wait a little longer before putting the chips in the BGE.  I will try what he recommended tomorrow when i do a chicken.
    ·
    edited June 2013
    @freedog74-poultry can take smoke quite quickly so I would go a little on the light side and remember the flavor for the next cook. 
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
    @Boileregger - thanks for that information as well.
    ·
    @lousubcap- do you think cherry or apple would be too much for chicken if you put a small hand full in the lump?
    ·
    I'm all for cherry with poultry-gotta love the dark reddish color of the skin - you should be fine with a handful.  Enjoy-
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·