Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs not directly on grate on cooking shows..??

I have been watching Destination America's week long tribute to BBQing and i have noticed that a lot of the teams on there do not put their ribs directly on the grate? They put them on what looks like a small horizontal wire rack, then they put the rack on the grate. The ribs are elevated maybe an inch at most. The rack looks similar to what my wife uses to cool down hot cookies when they come out of the oven, but smaller.
Anyone use this type of rack? Benefits? Thought i would ask the pros....
If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart

Comments

• rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    No idea. I am sure it has to do with presentation as I see no reason why it would aid in the cooking process if they are using an offset type smoker.
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Easier to handle? Rotate? Turn? Etc.?
  • TurtleCreek
    TurtleCreek Posts: 140
    I saw the same thing.  I assumed it was used for easily placing/sliding the ribs in various places through out the cooker.  If there seemed to be a hot spot, or go to foil them, then they could slide the rack over easily without shredding/ripping the meat away from the bone or grate itself.  It may just help give a clean presentation to the judge like rholt said.