Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Next throw down planning

Options
SmokeyPitt
SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
Thanks to @Fletcherfan for organizing the last one.  I thought it was fun and enjoying seeing all the recipes. 

Just wanted to get some quick thoughts on the next one.  Some mentioned we might shorten the timeline on the next one.  Would it be too short if we named the dish today, accepted entries through Sunday, then we start the voting on Monday?  Perhaps just leave the voting up for a day or two and winner is decided on Wed?   If that's too short of a timeline maybe we could push it back to start next Wed Jun 5 through the following weekend.  That would give people a couple of days during the week and the weekend.  

I was thinking of a general category of a dish rather than specific ingredients.  

Let me hear some thoughts.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    While I agree that the timeline should be shorter I'm not sure how you could shorten it to less then 5-7 days to cook.  There are just too many of us around that don't have a "traditional" Monday-Friday job.  If everyone was off every Saturday and Sunday I would love deciding competition today and having deadline for submission Monday afternoon.  I just don't think that we will get nearly the participation from some of the more creative minds on this forum if we have that quick of a time crunch.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I think your second suggestion is a better idea. Maybe take suggestions/think of what you'd like as a category this weekend. Monday AM make an official announcement, accep entries Friday AM through Sunday PM, voting until Wednesday PM? Or something similar.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I'd say at least 2 weeks... But hey, you're the boss.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    Thanks for the quick feedback.  I agree we want to give everyone plenty of time. 

I'm thinking split the difference and I will announce the category later today or tomorrow, and then accept entries through next Sunday Jun 9th.  That will give everyone a full week. 

I'm open to suggestions on categories.  Do we want to do it "iron chef" or "chopped" style where we throw out mystery ingredients- or just name a category of dish.  I'm leaning towards a general category and let people get creative with it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,649
    Options
    I'm not sure I will enter any of the throw down competitions because my plating and pictures leave a lot to be desired. But what if you did a "cast iron" cook off/throw down . Where everything is cooked on cast iron of some sort. I bet you would get a huge variety of entries. May be hard to pick a winner though.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited May 2013
    Options
    I think it would be a great idea to sign up a dozen or so people to do a chopped cook.  Let some devious minds like Eggcelsior, CenTex, Village Idiot and Little Stephen come up with the basket each round and let them have at it.  Let's see how creative these Eggers can get!
    We do this on a beer forum that I belong to.  Each entrant submits a slide show of the cook and they are voted on.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    I'm not sure I will enter any of the throw down competitions because my plating and pictures leave a lot to be desired. But what if you did a "cast iron" cook off/throw down . Where everything is cooked on cast iron of some sort. I bet you would get a huge variety of entries. May be hard to pick a winner though.
    Just to clarify my "like"...I like the idea of the CI throwdown.

As far as not entering...c'mon!   I am definitely no photo-grapher either.  Bring it! 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    My "Like" was for less competition... Ok, it was for the CI idea too.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    edited May 2013
    Options

I'm thinking of upping the ante and including a gift card for the winner of this throw down.  Maybe that will encourage participation.  I don't wan't to shock y'all now with the way I roll Jackson and Lincoln.  Smokey makin it rain up in heah!

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I went to a strip club and made it hail. They we're not happy with me throwing quarters in the air.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN