Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Chance to add a Griswold to the family

GQuizGQuiz Posts: 684
In Ohio visiting the family. Discovered my mom has a wall full of Griswold. Having read the posts (lurking), I know these are THE cast iron ecooterments to have for an Egg. She said I can take home one or two. Carry on luggage will have some weight to it. What size skillet is best suited for an XL? How do I find the numbers y'all have referenced in the past?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
·

Comments

• SpringramSpringram Posts: 420
    Depends on what you are trying to  do and for how many people. At least a 10" skillet, but the XLBGE can handle larger. A dutch oven is nice too.

Mmmmmm - Griswold is just plain super stuff.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,947
    You lucky dog! A DO for sure. Get the skillet now, and if you're good you can get more. :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Numbers are on back and on the handle. Just remember a number 10 doesn't mean 10 inches. A number 10 is probably around 12 inches

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 684
    I'm definitely grabbing a #10. But check out this beauty. 8 inches square...image
    image.jpg 2.4M

·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 4,115
    GQuiz said:

I'm definitely grabbing a #10. But check out this beauty. 8 inches square...image

I like!! That would fit my small!!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    That is awesome! That would bring some change on eBay. That is a definite must have!

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    Now to get it back to Texas and put it to use. After seeing @hapster post pictures on his blog, I'm curious to see what I can come up with. I'll be asking for advice next week, I can assure you.

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,572
    I would use US Mail to send it to yourself. Not that expensive, especially if you have to pay airline luggage rates.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
    Yeah, I'm worried TSA may consider the weapons. Probably will have to mail.

·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    I love my 10 " Griswold skillet that my great grandmother used.  I bet a Lodge, well seasoned, would be just as good, but it doesn't have the history or sentimental value to it.  Her skillet is as smooth as a baby's butt.

Look at the bottom for the following:

Some of the overlapping logos produced at the foundry included these:

1865-1883 Selden & Griswold
    1865-1909 ERIE or "ERIE"
    1874-1905 Spider and Web
    1884-1912 GRISWOLD'S ERIE
    1884-1909 Diamond (with ERIE inside the diamond)
    1897-1920 Griswold Manufacturing Company (italic lettering, large cross logo)
    1919-1940 Griswold Manufacturing Company (block lettering, large cross logo)
    1937-1957 Griswold (block lettering, small cross logo)

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,818
    I have a #10. It's perfect and is the CI I use the most out of about 10 pieces. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,417
    I thought you were talking about @ village Idiot
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,951
    WTF?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·