Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I *USED TO* be a fan of Wicked Good charcoal...

Comments

• Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    I am a huge Ozark Oak fan but lately I have been using the RO from Wal Mart and I'm very impressed. The Ozark has gotten to be pretty pricey around here. I will still use it though. Its just too good not to.
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    edited May 2013
    @henapple - I don't quite remember. It was somewhere over $1/lb. I can get RO or Central Market for much less and I am happy with those. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    r270ba said:

r270ba said:

r270ba said:

I am not sure why everyone feels a need to chime in 
    I thought that was part of the reason of joining a forum.  If you just want to lurk, why bother joining.
    @swvabeancounter thanks for taking that out of context...
    I apologize, I guess after reading all these comments, things were a bit fuzzy at the end.

He was giving everyone a hard time for 'chiming in' yet he 'chimed in' himself.  No worries.  Was just trying to point out the irony in his
    comment.
    Please forgive me, didn't mean to give anyone a "hard time". Just didn't think we needed 8 pages of the same repetive comments. But what a great read, can't stay away myself.

• 2 or 3 more hours and the  :!! kicks in.......lookout. We could have something really special on our hands here  [-O<
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829

~O)
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Can't you all see there are more important issues??? Catwoman needs some help with chicken legs.  She's been waiting since 2006!!!  Holy drumsticks catwoman!!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• On a totally unrelated note, my fire ring cracked.  Should be getting a replacement next week.

imageimage

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2013
    On a totally unrelated note, my fire ring cracked.  Should be getting a replacement next week.

imageimage

Are you blaming the charcoal?  ~X(

That's fine with me, but at least you could have waited for the happy hour to get this one out. I am sure, once that is underway, all this will have a "true" meaning and explanation.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited May 2013
    @Aviator: no, no, no, no, no.  Just a total non sequitur.  Not blaming the charcoal.  

• jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    just bought some wicked good from Ace....
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    I bet it was WG that broke that fire ring. Man, that just burns me up!!! I bet they didn't apologize to you either!! WTH!! SHEOTTT! Prolly responsible for a lot of other stuff too!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Wicked Good worked with DuPont back in the sixties. Originally napalm was designed as a lump starter.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Don't forget Chernobyl. Do you think nuclear fuel could do that on it's own? I heard they were running those reactors on WGWW. Nothing burns hotter than WG. Nothing.

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Well Ozark Oak has never cracked my fire ring... just sayin'.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Lee Harvey propped his 6.5 mm Carcano rifle on 5 bags of Wicked Good.  They produced that wicked good shot.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352

On a totally unrelated note, my fire ring cracked.  Should be getting a replacement next week.

imageimage
    My fire ring looks JUST like your fire ring
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SaturdayFatterday
    SaturdayFatterday Posts: 468
    edited May 2013
    I heard that Wicked Good was the fuel NASA used for Challenger and Columbia.

• henapple
    Hiroshima and nagasaki were WG plants that exploded.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited May 2013
    this car runs on a single 4 oz lump of WG. It lasts all season. It has never been defeated. image
  • henapple
    The great Chicago fire of 1871 happened when someone flicked a smoldering cigarette on a single piece of WG...
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Chuck Norris only uses WG.

On that note.  I think this thread jumped the shark.. it was fun while it lasted.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    I found a shiny penny today.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    when The Fonz jumped the shark, the boat was running on Wicked Good.
  • Aviator
    Heeeell yeah, anotha mangrate vs wicked good thread. May the angels be kind!

Chattanooga, TN.

• Aviator
    Told ya, happy hour is here and gonna stay all weekend long.

Chattanooga, TN.

• fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    I'm drinking beer.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    caliking said:
    Its quite good charcoal, as many of us know. But they could learn a thing or two from some of the other businesses on here ( I'm looking at you CGS, CGW, Baking Steel and BGE Grid Extender! :) ), apart from using the forum to snipe at their customers.

Posted below is the recent email exchange I had with one of the co-owners (names/email adds edited). I'm pretty happy with B&B which is available for a decent price about 5mins away. I have some Royal Oak to try after the recent Wal-Mart sale too. I'll probably be happier to not pay $1+ per lb for WG. 

Oh well, for the folks who like WG, I hope their supply and distribution improves.

"Hi Lee Ann.

Thank you for your email. We often wonder who some of the lurkers on the forum are. 

I posted my opinion on the forum, which I and others are free to do. I am glad to hear that your business is flourishing, and hope that it continues to do so without my patronage. If you follow the forum, you would know that I actually liked Wicked Good charcoal ( I have posted as such not too long ago), but there are other brands of lump charcoal that I like as well. It is possible that they would rather have my business.

Other businesses also follow (and contribute to) the forum - ceramicgrillstore.com, ceramicgrillworks.com, The Baking Steel among others. You may be able to learn something from them with regards to how to interact with your customers.

Wishing you all success ( once your supply is replenished), 

-Ashish 

> From: wickedgood 
    > To: ashish 
    > Subject: Re: Availability in Houston?
    > Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 01:02:10 -0400

> Ashish (caliking) ... I happened to see your post on the BGE forum. I certainly 
    > don't appreciate your assumption that we are "not interested in the charcoal side 
    > of their business anymore". You don't have a clue about our business and the 
    > work it takes to succeed in the charcoal business!

> We sold out on our charcoal ... simple as that! We have a very large customer 
    > base and continues to grow every year. We have folks that support us in our 
    > business, not folks that make negative and uninformed assumptions! It doesn't 
    > matter if you like our charcoal or not ... but at least have some respect for the 
    > work we do!

> Lee Ann  / Co-Owner
    > Wicked Good Charcoal, Inc.
    > www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com

> ----- Original Message ----- 
    > From: <ashish
    > To: "Wicked Good Charcoal" <wickedgood 
    > Sent: Thursday, May 09, 2013 4:07 PM

> Hi Lee Ann.

> Thanks for writing back. San Antonio is 3 hrs away, Austin is 4 hrs away, and 
    > Conroe is 1 hr away (2 hrs roundtrip). Is there no interest in supplying the 
    > Houston area? I like Wicked Good, but to be frank, not enough to drive 2 hrs 
    > for.

> I do hope there is a way to remedy this problem.

> -Ashish

> --- Original Message ---

> From: "Wicked Good Charcoal" <wickedgood
    > Sent: May 9, 2013 8:21 AM
    > To: "Ashish  " <ashish

> Hi Ashish,

> If you've been buying it at Ace Hardware ... we are no longer supplying them.
    > Perhaps one of the retail stores listed on our 'Where to Buy' page may be near
    > you ...
    > http://wickedgoodcharcoal.com/texas.html

> Hope this helps!

> Sincerely,

> Lee Ann  / Co-Owner
    > Wicked Good Charcoal, Inc.
    > www.wickedgoodcharcoal.com

> ----- Original Message -----
    > From: "Ashish 
    > To: <[email protected]>
    > Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2013 4:18 PM
    > Subject: Availability in Houston?

> Hi.
    > I can't seem to find any Wicked Good lump in the Houston area. Has it been
    > rebranded in some way, or have you stopped shipping/distributing to Houston? I
    > considered ordering online, but the shipping charge is prohibitive.
    > I would appreciate it if you could let me know where or when I can find some of
    > your lump charcoal in Houston, TX.
    > Thanks.
    > -Ashish"
    Just curious, are there any previous exchanges? I've never had anything but good experiences with  the owners of WG. I mostly do group buys by the pallet.
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    Problem is, there are 2 sides to every coin. Without hearing verbal inflections in tone, your second email could be interpreted as combative. Never used WGWW so I have no dog in the fight. Why invest the time and aggrevation.Almost all charcoals are readily available mail-order.