Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I *USED TO* be a fan of Wicked Good charcoal...

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited May 2013
    Thanks Fred... Reminds me of my first marriage.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    SO, WHAT IS EVERYONE COOKING THIS WEEKEND? STEAKS FOR ME. :)>-

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • HDmstng said:

Really want to use this line...Hasn't she been raked over the coals enough already?

That ship sailed page 1. It just got funny after that.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • r270ba said:
    I am not sure why everyone feels a need to chime in 
    I thought that was part of the reason of joining a forum.  If you just want to lurk, why bother joining.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763

r270ba said:
    I thought that was part of the reason of joining a forum.  If you just want to lurk, why bother joining.
    @swvabeancounter thanks for taking that out of context...
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    edited May 2013
    caliking said:
    @lewisj82: I heard that the Ace BGE dealer in The Woddlands carries Ozark Oak, but not at the "henapple special" price. henapple is special in that he has to be lubricated with a few PBR's for you to get your charcoal.
    @caliking - The one at Woodlands Parkway? I haven't been there in a while (Live about 5min from it). If that's where I saw it it was expensive and the only other brand they carry is BGE Charcoal. 

Circle S Hardware on 2978 Carries a few brands and if I remember right, they had decent deals on it. I can look up the email the guy sent if any of you north Houston eggers are interested.

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • r270ba said:

r270ba said:
    I apologize, I guess after reading all these comments, things were a bit fuzzy at the end.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275

I’m chiming in on a different note. Although, I think what she did was not right in her response and am not trying to make any excuses for her, here is another perspective of what might have set her off. Larry and she just lost a huge account in Ace. Three to four months prior to Ace becoming a distributer, I spoke with Larry about buying quantities of WG for our stores. We have multiple Ace stores in Northern Ca. We had a very good talk and he told me that 6 pallet quantities, delivered would be in the $17 dollar per bag range.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

We then started talking about Ace and he said he had been speaking with them about stocking WG, but hadn’t got anywhere yet. I asked if he would mine if I called the <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />Dept. 8 buyer (this is the person that buys this product) in Oakbrook, IL. and tell them that we liked the product and that I personally used it and would like to see it in the distribution centers. 3 or 4 months later they came to a deal and it was in stock for us to buy on our weekly orders. I doubt that my phone call had much to do with Ace buying it, but over the last 43 years with Ace, I know they are responsive to dealer’s suggestions of products.

Fast forward to April of this year and we were being told by the buyer that WG was out of stock and would be in by mid June. A couple of weeks ago we checked again and saw it was a canceled item and was being replaced with KJ. After Ace started caring it, I saw that many members here were ordering on line and having it delivered to their local Ace store. I made multiple posts, telling people to go into their Ace stores and ask them to order the SKU I provide in the posts and the store could get it on their weekly order, no more on line stuff. Also, ask the management to start stocking it. Well, many of my fellow Ace dealers started to stock it, not necessarily because they were eggers and used it, but because there was a demand for it. This nation wide demand probably had a lot to do with the shortage of late.

In her response she says that they would not be supplying Ace any longer,  I doubt that was totally their decision, but rather a mutual one because of the demands that Ace buyers put on suppliers both about quantities to supply and price concessions. We were buying WG for $13 and change from Ace, that means they we probably paying in the $12 or under range. There comes a point when it may not be profitable in dealing with large corporations, because of their buying power and the pressure they can put on you. Since Ace is now stocking KJ cookers they may be getting a better price on the KJ lump. If you put a lot of your eggs in one basket and the big buyer starts to squeeze on price and you then lose the account, that can have a huge affect on your bottom line. Again, I not making excuses for bad behavior, but losing an account that large would keep me awake at night. Sorry to on so long.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited May 2013

billyray said:

Thanks for the heads up.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

EVERYBODY should chime in, we are a family and all have a say.

With that being said, for now we are sticking with Ozark Oak or Royal Oak when it's on sale.

That decision was made before this thread, though.  RO is cheap, good, and readily available.  OO is premium and decent price when bought in bulk and delivered to my doorstep.

WG was a hassle to get, because we had to wait until it was on sale online via Ace and special order it then pick it up.  There were delays too.  EIther way, this is America and people should have the freedom to make the best decision for them.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    I just know it's hard to obtain as I would have to make a 100 mile round trip from Tampa just to get a bag, doesn't make sense and doesn't make sense it's not available in such a big market.
    CSE.  I've seen it at Danielle Fence in Mulberry when I picked up a LBGE recently.  Did the Ace thing a few times and still have a bag or two remaining.  I'm thinking I should go dump it in the woods somewhere after reading this thread.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    GQuiz said:
    Ok well what if @GQuiz is eating the lump, hey it could happen, you never know.  #-o
    Yeah, kinda mistyped that while waiting in baggage claim. @travisstrick knew what I meant. Central Market Lump is my go to now. I wanted to try WGWW but hadn't made it downtown. Now it's a moot point. It's not available in SA. I agree the response from the co-owner was regrettable. But if the lump is that good, would you pass on it because of her slip-up? And why pick on the Whiz? Being a quasi-lurker myself, I don't appreciate the rush to the brink. I love cooking on my Egg. I look to you for guidance and advice. Save your hatchets for the wood chunks that accompany. Where's Rodney King when you need him... "Can't we all just get along?"
    At first, I thought you were saying "so we could just gang up on him instead"
  • GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    Trim, I have woods by my house if you need a place to dispose of already paid for lump :D
  • zosobao5150
    zosobao5150 Posts: 133
    What is going on with Wicked Good?  Can I get a summary?
    >:)
    XL BGE
  • bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760

Same situation as @caliking, I'm in Houston as well and was also looking for WGWW. 

So, if I were the person (instead of @caliking)e-mailing WGWW customer service asking for closer locations (obviously with the intention of wanting to buy their product) and this is the e-mail I received from the co-owner of the product I'm trying to buy, I would have a hard time thinking about using their product in the future especially since I've exclusively used their product for the past few years.

I thought posting personal experience is the purpose of the forum (whether it be posting personal food we cooked, posting pics of our personal green egg set up, personal review from charcoal we used or other products we used including personal treatment received from certain business). So. I do not see an issue with this thread.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

> Ashish (caliking) ... I happened to see your post on the BGE forum. I certainly 
    > don't appreciate your assumption that we are "not interested in the charcoal side 
    > of their business anymore".   Now, It says here in her email that she happened to see the post here on BGE forum.Whats Wiz say she and Larry don't have an account here. Or Wiz, did you forward it to them? 

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    @lewisj82: I think it is Alspaugh's Ace at 10720 Kuykendahl in The Woodlands. You might want to call and check first though.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    Can we move on. Hate to see the group get divided over this.
  • lewisj82
    lewisj82 Posts: 184
    @caliking - Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. I saw OzOak there one day and kept walking once I saw the price. 

BGE XL- Tomball, TX

"Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said, "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken" - Ricky Bobby
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Just wondering, what's @henapple 's connection to Ozark Oak???
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • henapple
    None. Occasionally of get it for a really good price and try to get a few bags to eggers that want to try it. It cost $5 for 10lbs and a real quality product. Being the smart business man I am... I lose money. I pay the sales tax.
  • henapple
    @lewis182...how much?
  • henapple said:
    None. Occasionally of get it for a really good price and try to get a few bags to eggers that want to try it. It cost $5 for 10lbs and a real quality product. Being the smart business man I am... I lose money. I pay the sales tax.
    and deliver it...............
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    henapple said:

Yeah, but you could make it up on volume! :D
  • henapple
    I'm not sure I understand? I might have to gettax if iI can get lg quantities. The cool thing is I have gotten to meet up with some of the eggers.
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Tired old business joke... We are losing a dollar per widget, what should we do? Better ramp up production and sell more widgets! No doubt that your altruism nets you friendships, gratitude and an occasional beverage.
  • r270ba
    r270ba said:

r270ba said:
    I apologize, I guess after reading all these comments, things were a bit fuzzy at the end.
    He was giving everyone a hard time for 'chiming in' yet he 'chimed in' himself.  No worries.  Was just trying to point out the irony in his comment.
    Anderson, SC

• r270ba
    edited May 2013
    I wonder how many quotes deep this forum will let you go to?  Reminds me of looking at a mirror that is mirroring another mirror.

:-?
    Anderson, SC