Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I *USED TO* be a fan of Wicked Good charcoal...

Comments

• Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    edited June 2013
    Do you guys actually find that you can't produce the same quality Q if you use a less than top of the line charcoal? I use cowboy lump which is a pretty middle of the road quality charcoal. I have to say that I still produce amazing pork butt, ribs, burgers, chicken, you name it.

It's not that I wouldn't buy top quality lump, but it's what my local hardware store carries and it has never failed me.

Thoughts?
  • Mud Pig said:
    Do you guys actually find that you can't produce the same quality Q if you use a less than top of the line charcoal? I use cowboy lump which is a pretty middle of the road quality charcoal. I have to say that I still produce amazing pork butt, ribs, burgers, chicken, you name it. It's not that I wouldn't buy top quality lump, but it's what my local hardware store carries and it has never failed me. Thoughts?
    no way. I cooked on Best of the west for the last 2 years and it's not highly regarded at all. I have a bag of "consumer commodity" (generic) mesquite charcoal in my garage right now. It's kind of like dating. It's all good...just some's better than others :))

I'll cook with anything that's available but if I have a choice, I use what I like.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • actually- I've cooked on Ozark Oak for the past year but BOTW for the 2 years prior.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    I didn't care for the scrap lumber, metal pieces, twine, and other foreign objects in Cowboy.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Mud Pig
    Mud Pig Posts: 489
    4Runner said:

I didn't care for the scrap lumber, metal pieces, twine, and other foreign objects in Cowboy.

I've only found one foreign object in the last two years of using cowboy lump, but I'm with you on not usin it if that's been your experience. Especially if you can easily source other brands.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I have been using WG for some time now, however, since reading Lee Ann's comments I will NEVER buy anything that is related to this company.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    This is the most foolish thread going here. One person has a problem with a company that up until now I have never seen a complaint about and people that have never talked to them are ready to swear them off for good? Granted the posted email looks bad but it is one sided. Has anyone else had a bad experience with WG? Both times I dealt with them they were top notch. And to the post who mentioned Ceramic Grill Works, didn't they have a supply problem at one point where people were swearing them off also?

Sorry for the rant but this just looks like a good old fashioned witch hunt to me.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503

This is the most foolish thread going here. One person has a problem with a company that up until now I have never seen a complaint about and people that have never talked to them are ready to swear them off for good? Granted the posted email looks bad but it is one sided. Has anyone else had a bad experience with WG? Both times I dealt with them they were top notch. And to the post who mentioned Ceramic Grill Works, didn't they have a supply problem at one point where people were swearing them off also?

Sorry for the rant but this just looks like a good old fashioned witch hunt to me.

How was the posted email "one sided" as you say? It clearly showed both sides of the conversation. There has been some over-reaction; but the original premise was spot on...
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited June 2013
    hapster said:

How was the posted email "one sided" as you say? It clearly showed both sides of the conversation. There has been some over-reaction; but the original premise was spot on...

If that was the whole exchange it was not one sided but, It would be nice to hear from the other side before we hang them. I am just really surprised that not that many people who have dealt with them have spoken up and I feel the thread is one sided. I find it hard to believe there are many bad experiences to be reported and find the email exchange out of character compared to my dealings with them.

Like you said, a lot of over-reaction and I just felt the need to post my experience.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited June 2013
    I remember when corp killed my BGE at costco thread by not bumping it for new posts. It really needs to happen to this thread!

We all overreacted, including myself...but I thought it was just some daily entertainment.

Move along, there is nothing to see here. =;
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited June 2013
    I have been dealing with Lee Ann off and on over the last 8 years by phone and email, and she has always gone way above and beyond for me. And I was not a big company, just a single person. She was one of the nicest persons in her position I have ever had to deal with. WG is actually a very small company with a great product that is in high demand. I live in New England and their product isn't even the easiest to get around here in their own backyard. Before getting my Egg I used to use their All Natural Briquettes in my smoker. If you think the lump is hard to get, try buying the briquettes. Lee Ann always followed through on her promises to me and then followed up to make sure I was happy. 

I would imagine it is very hard to have a product that is in high demand and you can't get enough of it and can't grow fast enough to stay ahead of the demand. Not having the Ace account anymore, whatever the reason, had to be a frustrating loss. I would imagine that some of this frustration crept into the email. While I think her choice of words is regrettable, I think there is some blame to go around on both sides. She is right that you don't know about their business. Just because they can't sell their product in your neck of the woods doesn't mean they don't care about their business. They have trouble selling it here in their own back yard. 

When I read the comment that everyone is getting their knickers in a twist about, it didn't really jump out at me as being patently offensive.  I took it a bit differently. Change that sentence to: "Whether you like our charcoal or not, at least have some respect for the work we do." or "Even if you don't like our charcoal..." I am sure that is what she meant. Granted that isn't what she said and her choice of words is unfortunate. But she is also a smart lady and I can't imagine her ever meaning things the way most folks are choosing to see it. I think stress and frustration caused her to use a less than ideal choice of words. I mean why would any rational person say what she is being accused of meaning? 

I mean no disrespect to you @caliking, I was just pointing out my positive experiences dealing with Lee Ann. I also would like to thank the Whiz and several others who shared their positive experiences. Her choice of words was not good, but I don't think she meant it in the worst case way most folks seem to be taking it. Which one of us hasn't chosen our words poorly and had them interpreted in a way we never intended. Oh and I'll happily take any bags of WGWW you guys want to get rid of.

Jim
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited June 2013
    jfm0830 said:
    All of the above noted.

Jim, you are a valued contributor here and I always look forward to your ATK like approach and postings. Good stuff. And am glad you are stickin up for an old acquaintance.

The problem here is she said that she saw and read Caliking's post. She was rough, to serve it nicely. But, SHE saw it here. So where is the rebuttal. why not just post a couple of lines here intead of having "ambassadors" speak for her. We are a passionate bunch and will willingly forgive the devil here. He just has to show up. 10 some pages and she has the arrogance to not come forward, that is not acceptable. I may be out on a limb here, but just my 0.002$ worth just like you had one.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• jfm0830
    jfm0830 Posts: 987
    edited June 2013
    @Aviator I could think of several reasons. You don't have to be a member here to read the posts, she may not be a member and is unable to post. That would also neatly explain the email reply versus posting here. And I'm sorry, but if you ever had any dealings with this lady, you would not use the word arrogant in the same sentence with her name. Also I think she got rather harsh treatment too and she may feel at this point she won't get a fair shake. Or she may feel she is in a no-win situation.

But you know what? I've said my piece. This certainly isn't the person that I've had dealings with and since I've already expressed my opinion on the matter, I'm going to just let it rest.
    3 LBGE & More Eggcessories than I care to think about.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    I am speechless! Haven't had time to follow this since page 3 or 4. Bravo! Bravo! Author, Author! Well done!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Personally, I think it boils down down to two things...

#1: Women don't handle criticism well.

#2: Actually...I think #1 pretty much covers it.
    Gittin' there...
  • Personally, I think it boils down down to two things...

wow.........................
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Personally, I think it boils down down to two things...

I think we all appreciate your wonderful insight! This is just the crap needed to finally kill this thread.

I hope you're playing, but if not...you don't have a freaking clue man! Many people don't take criticism well, and that has nothing to do with gender.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    edited June 2013
    For some reason after catching up on this thread this came to mind:

Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.

Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?

Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.

=))
    I used WGWW this weekend on an overnighter and it worked wtihout fail.  Perfectly.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002

Oh man. That's uhhhhh..... Oh man.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited June 2013
    cazzy said:

I think we all appreciate your wonderful insight! This is just the crap needed to finally kill this thread. I hope you're playing, but if not...you don't have a freaking clue man! Many people don't take criticism well, and that has nothing to do with gender.
    Gittin' there...
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Hope @fearless isn't paired up with one of our fine "not taking criticism well" ladies or he may get a shaker full of ricin
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @henapple street credit definition of Fearless Noob's namesake thought process:

"YOLO"
  • cazzy
    I'm quite confident that @caliking regrets starting this **** storm. :-\"
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Well, if there is no such thing as bad publicity, sales should skyrocket!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    This thread just gets better and better. Perfect amount of **** slapping, righteous indignation, infighting, character assassination , questionable logic and downright silliness. I love you guys (sniff)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    cazzy said:
    Yea, maybe. However, like him and others that have responded, it is somewhat disappointing when people or vendors (also just people) kind of give you the brush off. I am not a retailer or a vendor of any sort, but I do  know this, Wicked Good is NOT is the charcoal business......it is in the "come back business" For every person who has, because  of the thread, decided they will no longer buy that product, Wicked Good can find two new customers but will only be one ahead from where there would have been. Not a giant deal but not the best business model for maximum growth. Will it make much difference in the end? Most likely not. But as a customer, a vendor has to eat a lot of crow sometimes. Sorry, I am starting to ramble. I support @caliking on this one.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

This thread just gets better and better. Perfect amount of **** sluapping, righteous indignation, infighting, character assassination , questionable logic and downright silliness. I love you guys (sniff)

Hell, sounds like a family thanksgiving dinner at my house. I do prefer "pimp slap".
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    edited June 2013
    Springram said:

cazzy said:

Yea, maybe. However, like him and others that have responded, it is somewhat disappointing when people or vendors (also just people) kind of give you the brush off. I am not a retailer or a vendor of any sort, but I do  know this, Wicked Good is NOT is the charcoal business......it is in the "come back business" For every person who has, because  of the thread, decided they will no longer buy that product, Wicked Good can find two new customers but will only be one ahead from where there would have been. Not a giant deal but not the best business model for maximum growth. Will it make much difference in the end? Most likely not. But as a customer, a vendor has to eat a lot of crow sometimes. Sorry, I am starting to ramble. I support @caliking on this one.

Springram
    Spring, Texas

I reacted initially, but some good points by some forum members made me realize that all this was just blown way out proportion.

Cali should have never posted her e-mail and why in the world are people letting someone's experience dictate your future business with WGWW. She made a mistake and could have done better educating Cali for his misinformed post. Yes, we're hearing and seeing a bad experience, but for every bad review, there are 9 other great ones that you'll never hear.

Bottom line, WGWW is a great product that speaks for itself. The problem is that it's no longer available in some areas due to Ace no longer carrying it. I'm using Royal Oak right now and it sucks balls compared to WG. I'm going back to Central Market Lump after I run out, and will definitely buy WG if I come across a bag. In the end, it boils down to quality of the product, and WG is far superior than any lump I have tried thus far.

I support good lump on this one.