Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised grid believer

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980

I have been holding off on getting a raised grid setup. I finally did it.

I posted a few weeks ago about wings burning if they got too close to the platesetter edge with a standard grill set up.

I cooked some chicken breasts a couple of days ago raised and direct. Seared at 600 and removedthem from the heat, droped the temp to 350-400 and returned them to the grill. cooked them for about 12 minutes or so. They didnt burn at all. So juicy and not dried, even on the edges of the breast.

I cannot believe the difference that measly 2 inches raising the grid makes.

Has anyone tried to do ribs direct on a raised grid? This is my next emperiment unless there are repeated comments of how it wont work out well.

Comments

• SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    Options
    Never tried Ribs direct.  I always do them low, slow and indirect.    
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Early on, I tried it just to see. Did a full rack of untrimmed spares, tip side down. Was very careful to keep the dome at 250F. I coiled them into a circle. Needed to rotate them a few times to even out hot spot effects, and basted them often. Turned out quite good. Portions of the fat became nice and crispy.  But certainly more work than cooking over just a drip pan.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I've done ribs raised direct with good success. In fact, my wife prefers them. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.