Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs, Ribs, and more ribs

boatbum
boatbum Posts: 1,273

I have posted several times about using pulled pork and brisket for other dishes.  Our house, always has bags of leftover meat in the freezer that we use for a variety of purposes.

The new thing for us is freezing the rib meat.   I love ribs, Mrs boatbum doesn't.   Its the messy finger oriented part of it that turns her off.

Recently, we have started cooking ribs, I get to eat what I want off the Egg.   Then take the leftovers - strip the meat off and use it on other dishes.

Cooked ribs over the weekend, 1 babyback salt and pepper only, 1 spare with Stubbs.    Ate what I wanted, then stripped off two 1 lb bags for the freezer.   Only 1 bag made it to the freezer, the next night did pizza with rib meat - was fabulous.    If you like the meat you get from a rib, think about this - imagine it in every bite of a piece of pizza.

Just a thought - passing it on.

Cookin in Texas

Comments

• jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Now that's an idea worth trying
    XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Even the "bone pictures" would help on this?
  • nice boatbum! That's a great idea

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    I've put leftover pulled pork on pizza.  I don't see how meat stripped from ribs would be much different.  It is quite good as a topping.
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    njl said:
    I've put leftover pulled pork on pizza.  I don't see how meat stripped from ribs would be much different.  It is quite good as a topping.

Interesting, I never really realized this, until I started stripping rib meat off the bone to bag.   Much different texture, I think because the overall piece of meat is thinner maybe, absorbs flavors differently, maybe permeates all the way through.   The Salt and Pepper ribs - are very distinctly pork flavor with smoke.   When you bring in the rubs and the glazes - you get those flavors very distinctly.

Its almost like you have ultimate control of the flavoring wiht ribs.   This is fairly new to me, so based on limited observation - but - almost seems like the rib meet is leaner than pulled pork.

Anyway - would suggest its worth trying - see what you think.

Cookin in Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Definitely worth trying.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.