Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grits and Burgers

Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We made the grits from SMOKE AND SPICE and the Sunday Burgers from SUBLIME SMOKE tonight.[p]MMMMMM mmmmmmmm, good.[p]Fritz

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Fritz,
    Mmmmm. The Sunday Burgers look like a nice concoction. Stuffed with mushrooms, butter, steak sauce, swiss cheese and horseradish, and rubbed with caraway seeds, pepper, onion powder and salt.[p]The garlic cheese smoked grits?? is that what yo did? Also sounds delish.[p]Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Nature Boy, I posted a dandy grits recipe last year that you might want to check out (under Sides & Such). JCA

• Nature Boy
    J Appledog,
    Turning 40 this year, and I think I have had grits once.
    Maybe it is time to change that. I will give the recipe section a visit. [p]How was your time at the lake?[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Fantastic, Nature Boy! We came home to work for a day last week - pulled back into town again this noon. Lots of deer on the beach this morning, Leland Wine & Food Festival was Saturday, a perfect day; too much painting the rest of the time. The mini egg seems to prefer the beach as well as I.... JCA

• Nature Boy
    J Appledog,
    Sounds like a blast.
    I don't get along to well with deer. I used to like them when we saw them on backpacking trips. Those are the kind that run...and keep running when they see people.[p]The kind we have here stand there and look at you as you scream and wave your arms. They prefer the expensive ornamental shrubs and trees first. Tulips and Lilies for desert. [p]I planted 200 tulip bulbs back when my wife was pregnant with the twins...figuring they would be in full bloom when she was due. Never saw a one. Them pesky critters were just waitin for 'em to peak out of the ground.[p]Still wanna get a big freezer and a bow and arrow. The neighbors certainly wouldn't report me. The trashmen might when they find pieces of a deer carcass in the trash can.[p]I like deer. Just us humans encroach on their territory, until the deer become the problem after becoming accustomed to humans. Just like with bears, coyotes...and on.[p]Sorry....got carried away.
    Cheers (and deers)
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, sounds you have a deer problem similiar to the one in our area - we are bounded on all sides by parks or no hunting zones - I've tried about everything including the little devices that send sonic sounds - the result, the deer enjoyed many of my favorite and expensive hosta for dinner. [p]4 weeks ago I tried one more product - 100% Coyote Urine by Predator Urine Products - I have 11 little plastic bottles around my yard - result, I haven't seen a deer in about 3.5 weeks - seems to work. I think it has also solved my racoon problem. [p]

• Nature Boy
    Gfw,
    Might try that. But I have a feeling after a short time, they will realize there is no threat. Then of course they will tell their kids "don't worry about the coyote piss".[p]They don't eat our hostas for some reason, but they eat my Hinoki Cypress like candy. And rub their horns on our Japanese Black Pine, and scrape all the bark off. Same thing on the Blue Atlas Cedar. It will get worse. [p]At my buddies house in Gaithersburg, Maryland, you can see straight into the woods in the summer, because the deer keep EVERYTHING well-pruned up to about 4 feet. Never seen anything like that.[p]How's dem ribs lookin now?

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Nature Boy, one of the reasons that we probably havn't had the deer roaming around - we have a few new critters - three little coyote. If I had animals that spent time outside I might get worried, but my cats never go outside - trust me, where there are deer, there are coyote - the urine also apparently attracts them.[p]Ribs just got the 1st coating og BBQ sauce - one rib showed an internal temp of 180 and one was still at 170, but they are starting to 'wiggle' nicely![p]

• Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Fritz,
    How can I find the recipe for these smoked grits? They sound real good![p]Tractor