Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Looking back at Memorial Day

billyraybillyray Posts: 1,140

Sorry this is a couple days late, but I thought it was interesting.

KNOW YOUR HISTORY: Memorial Day was started by former slaves on May, 1, 1865 in Charleston, SC to honor 257 dead Union Soldiers who had been buried in a mass grave in a Confederate prison camp. They dug up the bodies and worked for 2 weeks to give them a proper burial as gratitude for fighting for their freedom. They then held a parade of 10,000 people led by 2,800 Black children where they marched, sang and celebrated.

Thanks to Abstrakt Goldsmith for this nugget of history that most of us never learned in school.
Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini

Comments

• yeah, you won't be taught that down here. We tend to make up our history as we go. 
    Keeping it Weird in the ATX
  • Village IdiotVillage Idiot Posts: 6,953
    yeah, you won't be taught that down here. We tend to make up our history as we go. 
    "History is written by the victors",  Winston Churchill.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• yeah, you won't be taught that down here. We tend to make up our history as we go. 
    "History is written by the victors",  Winston Churchill.
    ....and the Texas Board of "Education"

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,628
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker

How are the private schools down there? That may be the only way I could consider moving there with kids. 
    ;)
  • @The Cen-Tex Smoker

How are the private schools down there? That may be the only way I could consider moving there with kids. 
    ;)
    There are great schools here public and private. It's the school board that is whack but they have gotten a haircut recently because they took it too far. 

Sad part is, our text books are your text books. You're welcome.

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 12,628
    Ahhh... Sounds like the school board everywhere. I can't wait!
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 6,596
    That's why my 5 year old will attend private school.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  If the lead bullets don't kill you, the leaded water will.