Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bacon wrapped scallops

Bacon wrapped scallops has been on the menu twice in the last several days. I made a dozen last week and my wife really liked them. So much that she bought a bunch more. They were deeeelish!
image.jpg 1.5M
image.jpg 1.9M
·

Comments

• Those look great. My wife loves scallops. I'll have to try that. Indirect cooking?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
    ·
  • DeviledeggerDeviledegger Posts: 235
    I went raised direct. 375* for 40 minutes. My wife prefer the bacon as crispy as possible. I think you could go a little hotter 400* and it might crisp the bacon up a bit quicker. I used maple bacon it they had a nice sweet taste.
    ·
  • pwg56pwg56 Posts: 92
    How do the scallops fare being on for 40 minutes? I would be afraid they would overcook.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,438
    I had the same question? I bought a dozen a while back but had a few and forgot about them. I guess I didn't "see food"... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 344
    Cook bacon half way than wrap and that cut the cook time.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • DeviledeggerDeviledegger Posts: 235
    @pwg56 the scallops defiantly get cooked a little more than I would like but the moisture from the bacon keeps them moist and good. It's a fine line between over cooked scallops an undercooked bacon. For my wife it's worth having the crispier bacon. The scallops are still fine for my liking at this temp/time combo.
    ·
  • NecessaryIndulgNecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,127
    I love crispy bacon around scallops, too.  I cook the bacon most of the way (you still want it to bend) and then cook the wrapped scallops direct for a couple of minutes each side. 
    I haven't done them in a long time... thank you for the arm-twist! ;)
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·