Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beer Brats (Pics)

Options
Cooked some beer brats tonight on the egg.

Got the Egg to 300 Degrees and added the cast iron skillet. Then I added a full bottle of McGuire's Irish Red from McGuire's Irish Pub in Destin Florida. Added the Brats and let them simmer for about 20 minutes, flipping halfway through. After that I let them sit on the grill at 350 Degrees direct heat to get some grill marks, then put them back in the beer bath for a few more minutes.

The brats turned out great! I had never cooked them before but I definitely will again.

I couldn't really taste the beer in it, although SWMBO said she tasted it a lot. Maybe because I had already drank two or three!
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Had a German working for me and this was one his main meals -- looks good but hard to get good brats!
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Try Costco. Them is good.

Had them tonight with Guiness. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• CAT Seller
    CAT Seller Posts: 208
    Options
    Looks good. I do them the exact same way, except when i pull them out of the beer bath, i add some sliced onions, turn up the heat a little to boil off some of the beer and get the onions start to caramelize.
    If it ain't a CAT, it's a dog!!! 2 LBGE's & BGE Backyard Chef Edition Cart
  • EGGerAllanPoe
    Options
    Aviator said:

Try Costco. Them is good.

Had them tonight with Guiness. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine were no brand cheap o's from the Grocery Store. They tasted great, but then again they were the first I've ever really eaten.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

If you can find them, try Johnsonville Original brats.  All we can typically get here is their stadium brats or their beer brats, but their original brats are outstanding.  We even like them better than some of the local brands that are supposed to be so good. 

With that being said, I haven't had a brat I didn't like.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Save the good beer for drinking and use the light beer for brats. ;) I've come up with a decent recipe for brats, still trying to get one down that matches what we had in Germany, but the more time that passes, the more my memory of them dims. I've had a few beers since then.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    I take a slightly different path, I boil them in beer for a bit then finish on the grill to crisp up the skin.  I agree with Foghorn, Johnsonville Original are very solid option, it is my first choice if I can find them.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    My German buddy bought them from a German restaurant, then would cook them in a dark German beer until the beer boiled totally away in a cast iron pan.  Then he would let them crisp in the same pan.