Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Chuck Eye Steaks... Huh?

hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
Anyone have any tips or tricks for this cut?

Picked up a couple of them tonight while shopping. They had a bunch of them in the case but I wanted to try them first before stocking up...

Thanks!

Comments

• Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,817

Hap,

They have a lot of flavour but can be tough. If you have a jaccard punch the living daylights out of them and cook to medium rare max. They dry out pretty bad

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    If it's what I'm thinking of Hap they can be tough s.o.b.s like Steven said. It's definitely a thermapen cook.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 17,339
    edited December 2013
    I found some CAB chuck eyes for a good price so I thought I would wade I to the water in this one. It was super marbled so I figured what could go wrong? I Rubbed them down with Oakridge Santa Maria style rub and hit them hard on the CI grid. Moved them up on the AR (indirect) to finish while I did some asparagus inside (EVOO, S&P with micro planed garlic). Had a little field green and spinach salad with scallion and tomato and all said......it was nice little dinner. If hit it again for sure. image imageimageimage
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • imageimage
    1- LGBE
  • Looks real good CT. Ours don't look like that at all. Hardly any marbling.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,445
    imageimage
    Man... They look fantastic!!! The ones I did weren't quite as marbled but they did have good flavor
  • once I saw the marbling I figured it couldn't be too bad. They were good, Kind of between a ribeye and a strip. They did have a lot of the sinew in between muscles but not much different than a ribeye in that regard. Just a few more of them. We all loved it. kids came home an made tacos out of the rest. it's gone.

1- LGBE
  • smokeyjsmokeyj Posts: 340

Just grill it like would a ribeye. I always had tender chuck eyes, now chuck steaks on he other hand are not as tender.

• I would not grill it like a ribeye, i.e. high heat. They can get tough that way. I love chuck eye steaks and grill them as often as I can. They are like the best part of a ribeye but much cheaper. The thicker the better. Don't buy the scrawny thin ones.

I give them a heavy, robust dry rub (think eyes are much better than thin ones). Then I put them on low heat with smoke. I used to do them on a Traeger on "LOW" so on the egg maybe 235-250. I eyeball the doneness so that they are medium rare. Sliced thin with some bbq sauce and a baked potato is about as good as it gets.

An alternative that I have not tried but could work well would be a reverse sear.