Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I'm not the first... Or the last

To spatchcock some chickens, but I'm glad I did! We may be the first to have his and her chickens though, with his and her drinks...

Usually steam the green beans, but decided to toss them in some olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic and them throw them in a cast iron pan in the egg

Took longer than expected, but worth the wait. Will try direct cook next time.

Plated
image.jpg 2.8M
image.jpg 2.5M
image.jpg 2.5M
image.jpg 989.3K
image.jpg 887.9K
image.jpg 887.9K
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,716
    Green beans and spatch get eaten a few times a week at my house. Yum
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • CharlieTNCharlieTN Posts: 177
    Those look great.  Definitely try direct.  I found it takes right at 1 hour with the egg raised direct at 375.  The green beans is a great idea.  I'll have to try that.
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,163
    Looks fantastic, how are you raising your cast iron grid above your regular grid?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • JebpotJebpot Posts: 338
    Great looking meal.

XL and Small

Chattanooga, TN

·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Why change anything ??  This looks perfect!
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,380
    nice looking cook 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • JamieoroJamieoro Posts: 180

Looks fantastic, how are you raising your cast iron grid above your regular grid?

For now, Just with firebricks. Ordered one of those grid extenders through the group buy. Would ordinarily put the cast iron on the bottom, but green beans were a last minute decision
    ·
  • MrCookingNurseMrCookingNurse Posts: 3,880
    Great cook!
    Your garden looks just like mine! Whatcha growing? We just sold our house so hope the new owners like squash and hot peppers. Didn't intend on leaving, house wasn't even on market, got an offer we couldn't refuse.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • freddyjfreddyj Posts: 126
    Your food looks great. Love the beans.
    Kamado Joe Big Joe, Classic & Junior
    ·
    @mrcookingnurse congrats in the house sale! Have a bunch of herbs and tomatoes, some sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, lettuce, strawberries and raspberries in the garden. Hoping the 2nd year will be better than the first! Decided to go with raised beds this year because the soil here is all clay.
    ·
  • milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    great work - everytime I go to the grocery store fresh green beans are everywhere.  Three times this week like @travistrick.....did you use different rubs for his and hers?
    ·

great work - everytime I go to the grocery store fresh green beans are everywhere.  Three times this week like @travistrick.....did you use different rubs for his and hers?

My husband used Raging River and I used a beer can chicken rub we picked up yesterday at our town festival. I won.
    ·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I like the fire pit area back there along with the cook.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 205
    Looks great. Nice garden area.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,698
    Great looking cook. Got plenty for leftovers?

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • Awesome cook!  Doing some spatches later this week - definitely gonna grab some fresh beans to go with it now.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 677

Great looking cook there! Will have something similar this weekend for a gathering with friends.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 677
    Veggies in the CI skillet are aways a winner. Cauliflower is outstanding done this way, as is broccoli. Whole okra tossed with some Cajun seasoning and oil is the only way to eat okra, unless you're going through the trouble of frying it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
    edited May 2013
    Griffin said:

Great looking cook. Got plenty for leftovers?

For sure! My husband makes chicken salad for his lunch every week so he used the leftovers and said it was the best chicken salad yet!
    ·