Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket in the oven

Started a 11 lb brisket yesterday around 4:45 pm on the XL. It was doing fine until about 10:30 this morning when the temp in the egg started to drop. I cooked at 220 grid using my DigiQ and bumped it to 225 this morning. The brisket was at 186 and climbing nicely when I lost my fire. I double wrapped it and put it in the oven at 250 or so to finish. Then I looked in the fire box of the XL and I had burned all the lump except for about six pieces which surprised me. It was loaded when I started. I've never run out before.

Any suggestions on finishing in the oven? I know the brisket lost some heat in the transfer. I'm wondering how long till finish and how often to check with my thermapen? I'm not sure if this has happened to anyone else. Bummed... but it looks good so far if I don't screw it up. Pictures later.
XLBGE & LBGE
North Richland Hills, TX

Comments

• you are right there. I might just wrap it and let it sit in a cooler for 2 hours. if not, take it up to 195-200 then let it rest in for an hour or so before slicing. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Gotta ask... What brand lump?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Ozark Oak, my usual.

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • EggRacer said:
    Ozark Oak, my usual.

that stuff sucks :))

(it's all i use too)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 354
    HighQ grate? I seem to use more lump when I use a pit controller too
  • EggRacer
    edited May 2013
    One thought. This time I used the WOO whatever its called for the XL and I might not have had the clearance for more lump in the firebox that I needed due to a lower mount height for the pizza stone. Next time I'll use the AR which should give more clearance for more lump under the pizza stone. There is a difference in height of the pizza stone between the two. Just a thought.

FTC is underway. I'm sure it will turn out just fine... it darn well better. More later.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • EggRacer
    I use HighQ on my large but not on my XL. The XL doesn't need a HighQ as far as I'm concerned.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • J_Que
    J_Que Posts: 223
    Sounds strange as I can run my large for what seems like days. Did a 16 hour brisket cook last week and had half of the lump left after the cook.
    I know all the rules, but the rules do not know me.

Small, Medium, 2 Large, XL ,Stumps XL Stretch, Workhorse 1975
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Same here.  Did a 11 hour brisket cook this saturday.  Didn't even fill up the firebox completely and still had a ton of lump left.  This is with the XL stock grate and Wicked Good.  Stuff burns forever.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    henapple said:
    Gotta ask... What brand lump?
    EggRacer said:
    Ozark Oak, my usual.

In yo face Hen
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • EggRacer
    The brisket turned out to be very good. Fork tender and great flavor. My best brisket so  far. I don't know what happened on lump usage as I usually end up with a bunch left in the egg. Guess I need to clean the injectors or reprogram the computer chip to lean out the fuel. Maybe a can of STP.

Brisket on and last nights sausage supper.

Some slices of brisket.

The meteorite minus a bit.

XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX