Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime Rib cook time w/ reverse sear??

LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 94
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
May want to try this for Father's Day .
If I am cooking the prime rib of about 5-8 # 's with reverse sear and cooking indirect around 250-275 before the sear, approx how much time once it is first put on indirect until the sear at the end is done ?
·

Comments

• gpsegggpsegg Posts: 340
    For the initial cook to 115 before sear, figure about 25-30 mins/lb. Rest foiled. Go to 500 degrees direct for sear of about 2 mins a side. Just did that last night. Turned out great!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blue Ridge, Ga.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,422

Below is a great read on prime rib cooks.  Check it out when you have time.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html 

Louisville
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,049
    If you get a chance - read this:

A #5 cooks in the same time as an #8 or #10 if they have the same cross section. The length, number of ribs, is not the significant issue. 
    Cook as low as you can maintain, 225-250 for the indirect. Watch the smoke, I use only the smoke from the lump most of the time. The game changer for me was taking the ribs off, tie the roast to make it circular. I also take the cap off. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·