Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime Rib cook time w/ reverse sear??

LarrymacLarrymac Posts: 93
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
May want to try this for Father's Day .
If I am cooking the prime rib of about 5-8 # 's with reverse sear and cooking indirect around 250-275 before the sear, approx how much time once it is first put on indirect until the sear at the end is done ?
·

Comments

• gpsegggpsegg Posts: 306
    For the initial cook to 115 before sear, figure about 25-30 mins/lb. Rest foiled. Go to 500 degrees direct for sear of about 2 mins a side. Just did that last night. Turned out great!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blue Ridge, Ga.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,071

Below is a great read on prime rib cooks.  Check it out when you have time.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/beef-standing-rib-roast-prime-rib.html 

Louisville
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,615
    If you get a chance - read this:

A #5 cooks in the same time as an #8 or #10 if they have the same cross section. The length, number of ribs, is not the significant issue. 
    Cook as low as you can maintain, 225-250 for the indirect. Watch the smoke, I use only the smoke from the lump most of the time. The game changer for me was taking the ribs off, tie the roast to make it circular. I also take the cap off. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·