Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Searing steaks on cast iron grid

All I need some advice. Been searing steaks on xl egg with cast iron grid. Temp about 600. Leaving about 2-3 minutes a side. They almost seem burnt at times instead of a good sear. Am I cooking to hot for the cast iron? Any advice is appreciated for the best way to sear.

Comments

• WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 2,316
    Give the reverse sear method a try- it should fix this issue. Using the high heat for that time is really putting too much heat on the outside while waiting for inside too cook.
    Greensboro, NC
  • ThatgrimguyThatgrimguy Posts: 3,511
    For good cuts, I think the Trex method is best. Its basically a sear, then slow rather than slow, then sear.

Biloxi, MS
    Guild's Grocery BBQ Team
    The Grocery Cart
    XL / Small Green Eggs
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,528
    I do the sear for less time.  Try 2 minutes per side especially if the grid is below the level of the normal BGE grid level.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.