Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

High-q grate safety question

Did ribs yesterday and still had a lot of lump left after a 5 hour cook. Stirred everything around and added some new lump before doing salmon tonite. Enough lump falls through the bigger spaces in the High Q that that I got a pretty good glow going underneath the grate?. Whatya think - is that safe or a problem in the making?
Centennial, CO
Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
image.jpg 898.6K
·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,457
    I have a glow regardless of my factory grate or my high que.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • SpaightlabsSpaightlabs Posts: 702
    Thank you Chubbs.
    Centennial, CO
    Unless I'm hunting, then Lord knows where.
    ·
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,386
    i get that on my XL when i do pizza hasn't been a issue 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    Yeah, I have 2 Hi-ques, and they do let larger lump pieces thru.  And I have been concerned that the amount of embers below mite be a problem.  Being that the eggs are on my deck, 20' above ground, I put them on concrete pavers.  Just wish that the  Hique grates "set" or nested in the egg better, they tend to roll or tip over when I am cleaning.  Maybe if I grind a flat on the OD, might help.

Hafta say, haven't had a problem with the embers, tho.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 4,856
    Running a large here and no problems

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky.
    ·