Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Will this plan for my butts work?

Options
I have only cooked a pork butt once and it was low and slow. Need to try the turbo method for 2 8 pound butts for a cookout tomorrow. We are supposed to eat at 4:00. My plan is to start the grill at 6:00 a.m., put the butts on indirect at 7:00 at 350 degrees, foil them when they reach160 degrees, and keep the grill at 350 until the butts reach 200 degrees. Will they be done by 3:00 so I can pull them off and put on some ABT's? Will this plan work? Also, at what level of the grill should they be? I have an Adjustable Rig. Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    My method of "turbo" calls for as much smoke during the first part, before foiling, as you can apply to the meat.  I cooked two eight pounders Friday which took eight hours, not including the rest period.  The first portion was at 205 degrees, with solid pecan smoke until it reached an internal of 160 degrees.  Then wrapped in a few layers of foil, and cooked at 300 degrees to an internal of 210 degrees.  Each portion required four hours. Then it rested two hours before being refrigerated.  Photos show the amount of liquid flavor in the end result. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Fwiw.. I cooked 2 eight bb only I cut them in half. So I smoked 4 four lb roast in a little over4 hrs. As good as a llong cook. I ftc the butts and still turboed ribs. 350 till 160 till thebone was loose. Temp is a guideline.. Tender is done.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Yes they will be done. Around 5-6 hours is what the "turbo" recipe says. @mickey has been called and can confirm.

XLBGE