Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Guesstimating on time for Boston butt

Options
I know to cook to temp. About h How long to cook an 8.5 lbs of Boston butt? Is it about an hour per pound? An hour and half? Any help will be appreciated.
Nashville, Tennessee

Comments

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    at 275 dome i guess about 1.5 a pound and ad 2 hours to my eat time so that if i finish early I can ftc, or if i need to bump it up to push it through I will.
  • Evilsports
    Evilsports Posts: 37
    Options
    I've only done two butts so take my experience with a grain of salt.

Both of mine took just under two hours per pound @ 225 degrees grate temp.

I started a ten pounder yesterday at 6:00 pm and put it in the cooler @ 2:00 pm today.

(I don't foil for the stall, in fact I didn't open my egg once until it hit 185ish and then probed for tenderness until 192 degrees internal)
  • SaturdayFatterday
    Options
    I'd plan for two hours/lb - assuming you're not doing @Mickey's turbo butt method - and FTC if you finish early.

And I'll agree with @Evilsports and echo the time-honored phrase: if you're looking, you ain't cooking.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.
  • Lynde
    Lynde Posts: 12
    Options
    No cast in stone cooking times - I use the recipe for Boston Butt that is in the manual that came with my BGE - it says to cook at least 18 hours.  Thought this was crazy and would be a dried up piece of meat.  It was delicious!  I have cooked at least 10 times with this method and use the rubber heat resistant gloves to remove - every time the butt breaks apart in my hands.  Would suggest buying a temp control, like the BBQ Guru DiGiQ DX2, for long cooks - it controls cook temp and monitors meat temp. 
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Options
    Without your cooking temperature it's hard to guess at a finish time.  I did two turbo butts yesterday and they took a total of eight hours -- then add the rest period.  And the smoke portion was cooked at 205 degrees grid.  Then from the internal of 160, they were foiled and cooked to 210 internal degrees with a grid of 300 degrees.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    As mentioned, the key factor here is "what is your cooking temperature"...Generally all recipes refer to dome temp unless otherwise stated.  If you run around 260*F +/- on the dome plan for about 2 hrs/# and plan to finish early so you are not under the "eat-time pressure" to get it finished.  Foil, towels and cooler (faux cambrio) will allow you to hold til ready to pull and eat. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.