Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

lump question

I am brand new BGE owner and I was wondering what lump do you recommend using for everyday cooks?  Also what lump do you recommend for low and slow cooks as well?  I used The Original Charcoal Hardwood Lump this week on my cooks and I am not a fan of it.  Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated for this newbie.

Comments

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I like Royal Oak for everyday cooks and Wicked Good for low and slow.

Everyone has their own favorites and everyone is right.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Lump is regional. Where are you from?
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • RV10Flyer
    RV10Flyer Posts: 140
    I like Ozark Oak with Royal Oak a close second.  I have not seen Wicked Good around my area but I would like to try it.

North Texas

XL and Small BGE

• GA_Dawgs
    GA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    I primarily use Humphrey's and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. Check the Naked whiz charcoal database also. Like Travis said, lump can be regional and there are some great regional options for a lot of us.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I go back and forth between Wicked Good and Wegman's brand (Royal Oak). Starting to like the Wegmans, and it's a lot less expensive. Planning to stock up while its available.
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Am sold on Wicked Good - Weekend warriors,  found it to be easy to light ( use wax cubes, I know...) good reduction ( less ash )l, slightly smoky, overall my choice.  I'm in the NE ( NJ ) and is readily available at bbq shops.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503

Tjcoley said:
    I go back and forth between Wicked Good and Wegman's brand (Royal Oak). Starting to like the Wegmans, and it's a lot less expensive. Planning to stock up while its available.
    Been picking up a 10lb bag for $6.99 every time I'm food shopping in Wegmans... great price and from my experience last year,  pretty good lump, especially for that price. Have to wait till ACE starts getting the WGWW back in stock
  • freedog74
    freedog74 Posts: 63
    @travisstick - I am from Athens GA.  Thanks for all the input.  
    @Tjcoley- where do you pick up Wegman;s brand (Royal Oak) at?
  • freedog74
    GA_Dawgs said:
    I primarily use Humphrey's and Wicked Good Weekend Warrior. Check the Naked whiz charcoal database also. Like Travis said, lump can be regional and there are some great regional options for a lot of us.
    Where do you get the Humphrey's lump at?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Royal Oak is all I use.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• freedog74
    @shtgunal3 - I have seen some bad reviews on Royal Oak saying there is lots of dust and small pieces in it...is that still true about it?
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    Your gonna get some dust and small pieces in any brand of lump. Royal Oak (in the red bag) is the best lump I have found. Alot of the dust and small pieces has to do with how the bags of lump was handled prior to you buying it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    freedog74 said:
    @travisstick - I am from Athens GA.  Thanks for all the input.  
    @Tjcoley- where do you pick up Wegman;s brand (Royal Oak) at?

Here in Central PA Wegmans is a grocery store chain. I buy one or 2 bags every Saturday. I've heard Walmart sells Royal Oak, but don't go there very often.
    I saw the Royal Oak at Walmart the other day but was not sure on how good it was because of the reviews I have seen.  I will try Royal Oak next time from all the recommendations I have gotten from everyone on this forum.
  • Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    RO has been the most consistant lump i have found in my area.
  • Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    For low and slow smokes I really do love Wicked Good. I stock up early in the year to last me for the rest of the year. For fast cooks on the LBGE and the Mini, I prefer Ozark Oak and John Henry's. I can get John Henry's here at his headquarters at @$15 for 20 lbs.  I keep hearing the red bagged Royal Oak is good.

Fajitas tomorrow over some Ozark Oak and mesquite.  Mmmmmmmm  I know it is only going to be on the LBGE for maybe 8 minutes total but it is against the law in Texas to grill fajitas on a gas grill.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    freedog74 said:
    I saw the Royal Oak at Walmart the other day but was not sure on how good it was because of the reviews I have seen.  I will try Royal Oak next time from all the recommendations I have gotten from everyone on this forum.
    Don't judge on one bag. I like RO, in the #17 bag. seems to have less dust than the #8. Tried most and have good and bad from all of them. Not much help - but it is the truth. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    mostly use royal oak or wegman's and recently tried ozark oak which i like much better seems to heat up faster and the smell is much better than royal oak to me .once i deplete what i have i'll be ordering the ozark oak since a couple places have free shipping on orders over a 100 which is pretty easy to hit when buying lump 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Springram said:
    For low and slow smokes I really do love Wicked Good. I stock up early in the year to last me for the rest of the year. For fast cooks on the LBGE and the Mini, I prefer Ozark Oak and John Henry's. I can get John Henry's here at his headquarters at @$15 for 20 lbs.  I keep hearing the red bagged Royal Oak is good.

Fajitas tomorrow over some Ozark Oak and mesquite.  Mmmmmmmm  I know it is only going to be on the LBGE for maybe 8 minutes total but it is against the law in Texas to grill fajitas on a gas grill.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    If you want to try RO Walmart on 2920 has the 17# bag for $10.00.. I picked up 3 bags a couple of days ago.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    @RAC - thanks for the tip. Hope the wrist is doing OK.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    freedog74 said:
    GA_Dawgs said:
    Where do you get the Humphrey's lump at?
    I used to use Royal Oak for my normal cooks and Wicked Good for low and slow ones, but I found that WIcked Good was a little harder to light.  I have now settled on Humphrey's which a few of us get in a bulk shipment deal.  The last time we bought, we got 3 pallets (30 bags/pallet with 20 pounds in each) and it came out to a little over $13 per bag delivered to a trucking depot.

In my opinion it is as good as Wicked Good but easier to light.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Springram said:
    @RAC - thanks for the tip. Hope the wrist is doing OK.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    It's getting better day by day. Been a slow process. Thanks for asking.

Ricky

Boerne, TX