Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

ribs are on

Ribs are on, does anyone flip ribs? I usually use a rack figured I would lay them flat this time. Also I was wondering, because I dont really know and tried looking it up but I may have to wait to see when I open it. This brisket, I am wondering if its a flat or packer, or are they the same? I think a packer has the deckle right? Im so confused, I did look at brisket 101. If I remember right CT told me to use plenty of apple juice right? No he didnt thats were I messed up last time. I will be using him recommendation on just BBR and nothing else. We'll see this weekend should work out. imageimage
·

Comments

• billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    edited May 2013
    Looks like the whole packer. Whole packer has the point and the flat, should be in the 12 to 16 pound range.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    I do not flip my ribs... until the very end of a cook to get a little direct heat on both sides.

Looks like a packer to me. And, yes, a packer has both the flat and the deckle (or point).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    billyray said:
    Looks like the whole packer. Whole packer has the point and the flat, should be in the 12 to 16 pound range.
    Yes this is 16 lbs. When I open it I guess I should look for the point,  I just dont know how to tell where the point is I do know its at the end. Thats about it.
    ·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,116
    edited May 2013
    The big thicker end. In your pic. it looks to be on the left.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    I don't flip my ribs, that looks like a packet. The point is fattier (more intramuscular fat) than the flat.
    ·
  • chris123stockchris123stock Posts: 664
    billyray said:
    The big thicker end.@ In your pic. it looks to be on the left.
    @billyray Thanks 

@GA_Dawgs  Thanks
    ·
    I do not flip my ribs... until the very end of a cook to get a little direct heat on both sides.

Looks like a packer to me. And, yes, a packer has both the flat and the deckle (or point).
    Thanks
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,286
    edited May 2013
    Chris - I flip if I'm saucing, obviously to get some sauce on the bone side. SWMBO likes wet ribs, I'm kinda of a dry guy. 
    Looks good! What did you dust those piggies with?
    Good luck with the brisket. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,762
    edited May 2013

WRT ribs-  All rib cooks are some variation around X-0-0 which translates into the following: Basically ribs are cooked as usual (bone side down for me) for the first X hours. Then they are removed from the cooker and wrapped with liquid (Q sauce, some other liquid for flavoring etc) in a foil pouch with the meat side down. This becomes step -0- mentioned above. The sealed ribs are then returned to the cooker.  At the end of the "0" time-frame, the ribs are removed from the foil and then put back on the BGE for the final "0" time-frame.  This is when sauce is added if your desire.  X-X-X defines the cook cycle.  Those of us X-0-0 run without any of the above extras.  It's all in what you like  And to determine when they are finished-the bend test if you have full racks-pick them up on one end and if they bend around 90* they are finished.  Another method-use a toothpick and insert in the thickest meat-in and out with no resistance and finished. Also look for a good meat pull-back on the bones. 

And since we are in information overloard-here are some great brisket sources-http://www.amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/texas_brisket.html
    http://www.bubbatim.com/
    http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes.htm
    http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/03/brisket.html
    All the info you will ever need. Enjoy the journey-

Louisville
    ·
    Chris - I flip if I'm saucing, obviously to get some sauce on the bone side. SWMBO likes wet ribs, I'm kinda of a dry guy. 
    Now you are asking what I dusted them with? Come on you know I'm a trilbys kind of guy, its the mild rub. Love it.
    ·
    Well they were good I must say.imageimage
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,903
    edited May 2013
    Chris...you don't need to do nothing...

Just saying :D

http://tinyurl.com/No-Flipping-No-Sauce-No-Foil
    Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,691
    I'd defiantly eat those. Nice going.
    ·
    cazzy said:
    Chris...you don't need to do nothing... Just saying :D http://tinyurl.com/No-Flipping-No-Sauce-No-Foil
    I didnt and they were great. Thanks
    ·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 6,903
    Looook good...nice color and good bone pull back. Love the pot you used for beans!
    Just a hack that makes some **** BBQ...
    ·
    cazzy said:
    Looook good...nice color and good bone pull back. Love the pot you used for beans!
    That pot is like 50 years old, I freaking broke the top on one cook. Trouble for me lol. Its a great pot though
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,286
    Now you are asking what I dusted them with? Come on you know I'm a trilbys kind of guy, its the mild rub. Love it.
    I was just being the straight man.... Merilee makes some seriously good stuff. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 2,750
    The results look pretty good! Did you make a dressing for your cole slaw?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Looks great - Great cook! =D>

Btw, no drip pan between platesetter and ribs?

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
    @bbqlearner na sometimes I might foil if its real messy or I want to keep the juices, I just said heck with it this time. Thanks
    ·
    @TexanOfTheNorth I didn't make it this time I think I was lazy yesterday.  
    ·