Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

The OCD me..and Rutland and or lid issues

Sup. so for awhile now my lid hasn't been on correctly..I've done all that I can(forums, videos) as well as disassemble and reassemble the egg 3-4 times and I still have a gap..so I was wondering if a Rutland may fix the issue..I'm thinking no..but at this point ill try anything . Anyone got idears? the egg takes a little longer to cool down..but honestly what's bothering me is the look of it
·

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,788
    I can appreciate your visuals and concerns but if you can pass the dollar bill test around the circumference then grab a beverage and chalk it up to the BGE.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Some eggers have rotated their dome to get a closer fit due to manufacturer problems.  The rutland is, i think, three times the thickness as the felt gasket, and it will fill in about an eighth of an inch.  And for a few dollars more, you could consider a rutland gasket on both the top and bottom?? 
    ·
  • mountaindewbassmountaindewbass Posts: 1,712
    I do not pass the dollar test.. Not even close. So that's why i have been looking into options. Maybe I can loosen the band just a little to give less resistance or something.
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 5,788
    Find someone to push down on the dome as you loosen the band.  Then once positioned, tighten the band back up and see if that helped.  Beyond that, try the search function here or "google search" for big green egg dome alignment and you should get several hits.
    Louisville
    ·
    Its official.  Im going to put a Rutland gasket on the egg. Im hoping i can go to Lowes or Ace Hardware to buy it..or even Stones.  I fried my nomex gasket last night...also when im putting on the new gasket ill be rotating the lid to see if i can get it to line up better.
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,616
    edited May 2013
    It sounds like you have tried everything...if there is a gap, then it could simply be that the base or the dome has is simply not flat.  There is a bump somewhere on the surface. I would think a Rutland may fix the issue unless it is a really big bump. 

Only other option is if you can see a visible flaw- perhaps you could try to get the piece replaced as a warranty item.  If you are taking the dome off, perhaps set it on a flat surface and see if you can identify a raised area.  If it is obvious- you could take pics and take it up with the mothership. If the dome looks flat, then the issue may be on the base which may be more of a pain to identify and replace. 

Then again, if the Rutland will fix it then it may be far less trouble to just do it that way ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    edited May 2013
    I will check out the lid.  Im currently on my second base for the LG, the lid hasnt lined up with the base since i changed the gasket the very first time(Didnt take lid off, just added the gasket with it all attached) So im hoping to find the gasket in a local hardware store..if not it'll have to wait till the weekend.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,951
    Some have had to get new band assys under warranty

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Contacted bge... After talking with them I learned two things.
    1. They now carry a adhesive back grey nome gasket.
    2. Moving the bottom band up to the edge.. Right below gasket.. Fixed my lid issue
    ·
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,304

Contacted bge... After talking with them I learned two things.
    1. They now carry a adhesive back grey nome gasket.
    2. Moving the bottom band up to the edge.. Right below gasket.. Fixed my lid issue

Yes and that gasket too will toast off just the same.
    Seattle, WA
    ·
  • cookinfuncookinfun Posts: 129
    Yeah...I can attest to that.  2-3 months after I bought my 1st egg I fried the felt gasket.  Called the mothership, and they sent me a nomex gasket.  Well, I installed and it lasted thru maybe 3 hi-temp cooks.  Its fried, ordered Rutland, however I haven't replaced and am just using the carcass of the nomex just cause !) I'm otherwise occupied, and 2) I can still do low/slow, and 3) shutdown time still seems ok.  I guess that the gap is good, making the gasket less important, just saying.

BTW, I'm not defending the nomex, just maybe the egg "shells" align ok.
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)
    ·