Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stuffed chicken breasts

Gonna try to stuff some chicken for dinner tonight.  Figure I'll fill 'em with cream cheese, shallot, and garlic chives and wrap 'em in bacon.

My initial plan is indirect, 375* grid temp, apple smoke.  Any thoughts?  Thanks in advance.

[Northern] Virginia is for [meat] lovers.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Sounds like a plan. Are you heat-averse? Maybe chop up some holla-pen-yos. Or add a spicy rub/cayenne to the filling.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sounds good to me!  Pound em flat using saran wrap, wax paper, or sammich bags.  If you are going indirect I would recommend raising the grid if you can to help get the bacon crispy.  Also helps to flip them once during the cook as I have found they tend to be a little soggy on the bottom. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Charlie tuna
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    I pre cook or saute the stuffing on chicken breasts because the breasts cook so fast the stuffing doesn't have a chance to cook.  My $.02
  • This is great!  I'll definitely add hot peppers - I am not heat-averse at all - and saute the shallots and chives really quickly before stuffing.

@SmokeyPitt: I can put the CI on the PS and use my jalapeno rack to elevate the regular grid by about 1.5" - think that'll do it?  Alternatively, I can put 'em on the tri-level rack to get 'em higher up in the dome.  For the flip - flip 'em at 130 internal and take them the rest of the way at that point?  Or do you time it out?

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2013
    This is great!  I'll definitely add hot peppers - I am not heat-averse at all - and saute the shallots and chives really quickly before stuffing.

@SmokeyPitt: I can put the CI on the PS and use my jalapeno rack to elevate the regular grid by about 1.5" - think that'll do it?  Alternatively, I can put 'em on the tri-level rack to get 'em higher up in the dome.  For the flip - flip 'em at 130 internal and take them the rest of the way at that point?  Or do you time it out?
    The higher the better in my humble opinion.  I use the BGE three tier rack and put them on the top rack:

...just be careful the dome thermo istn't sticking in one ;)

For the flip I would just flip them once it looks like the top is starting to get crispy.   You can peek in through the dome ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Thanks for all the great advice, @SmokeyPitt, @Eggcelsior, and @Charlie tuna!  Per SWMBO, I forwent the jalapenos this time in favor of roasted pine nuts, so filling was cream cheese, sauteed shallot and garlic chives, roasted pine nuts, and grated parm.  375*, indirect, top tier of BGE's three-tier rig:

• Oh, and two medium-sized applewood chunks at the very beginning of the cook.

• blueinatl
    blueinatl Posts: 94
    ok, I had dinner hours ago and now I'm starving!  *droooling*
    Peachtree Corners, GA. Large BGE
  • cookinfun
    cookinfun Posts: 129
    Ok, those look very good....do you have leftovers, and where do you live, and can I stop by???
    (2) LBGEs,  WSM, Vidalia Grill (gasser), Tailgater Grill (gasser)