Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Remains of clinch stud and acorn nut fell out of egg!

Was cooking some tandoori chicken a few weeks ago and closed the dome after checking on them and heard something fall out of the egg. Looked at the back of the table and found a bolt with acorn nut attached. After it cooled I figured out it was one of the 1/4" x 3/4" green anodized clinch studs from the bottom band connection for the spring assisted hinge, the most rearward one. Called my dealer and they said they would order the part and let me know when it came in. Then emailed BGE direct and asked for a hardware pack for the XL as I broke that part and worried about other parts.

Long story short, the hardware pack direct from BGE showed up 2 business days later. Been about two weeks and haven't heard from the dealer.  Decided to take the whole damn thing apart to check for other broken fasteners and to switch to a table nest and remove the stone underneath it. Upon disassembling I found the opposite clinch stud in the hinge mechanism was about to fail. Also found many broken washers and a couple other bent clinch studs. The Egg is only a year old and was torqued to spec when I assembled it. Guess all that weight of the XL is tough on fasteners. Upside is I found no cracks in the base or dome!

Really happy with the BGE service. If you need replacement parts, email them direct, works out great! Of course this is within the 5 year warranty on hardware.
Rochester, NY  - XL BGE

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    I'm gonna bet your dealer requested the parts through their distributor. Depending on the volume your dealer moves and when their last order was it might be anywhere from two weeks to two months before they see the parts. 
    Actions like BGE getting the parts to you in two business days is fantastic, but it really doesn't give you a lot of faith in the dealer network does it? 
    If BGE could send it to you directly based on an e-mail, I often wonder why they could not have sent it to your dealer directly based on his request. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!