Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Graduation cookout

shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
My oldest child (Austin) is graduating from high school tomorrow. Plan to do two 8lb butts, Conecuh sausage, and lots of burgers and dogs.

Rubbed one butt with Lambert's Sweet Rub o'Mine and the other with Wild Bunch Butt Burners rub.

Plan is to put on the egg tonight about 11:30 or 12 @ 250ish dome. I hope to FTC before we leave for graduation and pull and eat when we get home. I plan to use pecan and cherry chunks for smoke. Made some Hawaiian cole slaw sitting in the fridge.

I will post progress pics if I don't have to many beers. I stocked up on that today too.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

image.jpg 2.5M
image.jpg 2.9M
·

Comments

• doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    Congratulations and good luck with the cook.
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • Charlie tunaCharlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Sounds like a plan - bet the kids eat more "hot dogs' than butt?
    ·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,325
    Sounds like a plan - bet the kids eat more "hot dogs' than butt?
    More beer too.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 6,381
    Congrats!!! Have a great party!
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    @Charlietuna I don't think the kids will be here long. This is mainly for the parents.

@bud812 no underage drinking at my crib.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 2,094
    Congratulations.  My son graduated from HS Wednesday. I will be putting as many Pork Shoulders as I can fit on my XL with rig for the party.
    Enjoy the cook, beer, company, and memories.
    XL BGE and Mini Max in Cincinnati, Ohio
    "REMEMBER DUANE ALLMAN"
    ·
  • r270bar270ba Posts: 763
    shtgunal3 said:
    Good for you!  

Congrats too on the graduation.  Hopefully is a smart kid and planning to go to Clemson University and not some SEC school or something :)
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

·
    r270ba said:
    shtgunal3 said:
    Good for you!  

Congrats too on the graduation.  Hopefully is a smart kid and planning to go to Clemson University and not some SEC school or something :)

:))

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,132
    Sounds like a good plan for sure!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    Got started a tad late. Butts went on about midnight 15. Hit them with a little xtra rub. Now to let the egg work its magic.
    image.jpg 2.7M

·
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 7,132
    edited May 2013
    I shouldn't be a problem...I always find the butts always finish before I want them too so it will probably end up perfect!

I just barely got my brisket on...lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
    This is what I woke up to at 9:00. Egg sitting rock steady at 275 and butts at 185. Hell yeah I love my egg.
    image.jpg 2.6M

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 5,816

Congrats on the graduation.  You will have lots of great food for the party.  The butts are looking perfect. 

I would like to hear that recipe for Hawaiian cole slaw sometime. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
    @smokeypitt I get a 16 ounce bag of 3 cabbage mix with carrots. Then add pineapple tidbits, mandarin oranges, broken up pecans, a little salt, black pepper, and sugar. Mix it all up with some mayo and let it chill in the fridge for a couple hours before serving.

·