Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Tortas!

The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 14,803
edited May 2013 in EggHead Forum
We had some Brazilian marinated sirloin flap/skirt (not sure what it is but Central Market charges $10 lb for it so it must be good, right?) left over from "Brazillian Week" so we made some Tortas tonight. MuyBueno!

Did the cook with cast iron grid down on spider. Oak chunk for a little pep:

TFJ prepped all the sides: cilantro, pickled onions, avocado, refrained beans, cojita cheese. The bread was toasted on cast iron griddle with mayo ( it was really good)

Threw it all on toasty crusty bolillos (Mexican savory bread) and it was awesome! Winner, Winner, Brazillian steak dinner.

Keeping it Weird in the ATX
2 Large BGE
1 MiniMax BGE
1 Karubecue C60 (aka-"The Dishwasher")
More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling

Comments

• god these pics drive me nuts. They are all inverted. Look normal on phone/ipad, but make me dizzy when I see them on the computer. #firstworldproblems
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    More accessories than TFJ knows about and one more purchase from mandatory counciling
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 8,841
    edited May 2013
    What a beautiful and colorful meal!

You still don't have a clue though! :P
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • MrossMross Posts: 338
    Looks wonderful.
    Duncan, SC
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 28,467
    Nice! Ever try vaca frita?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Randy1Randy1 Posts: 374
    Man..looks great!
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Nice! Ever try vaca frita?

no. Do tell (some kind of fried beef I assume by the name)
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 17,802
    Holly crap that looks good
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

edited May 2013
    Yeah, it's Cuban I think. You simmer a flank in beef stock, garlic, mojo and onions til it will shred. Then you shred it and fry it. Similar to pulled beef but crispy

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• milesbrown4milesbrown4 Posts: 314
    Man I miss Texas - great looking cook!
  • Yeah, it's Cuban I think. You simmer a flank in beef stock, garlic, mojo and onions til it will shred. Then you shred it and fry it. Similar to pulled beef but crispy

ok- yes. We will be doing this soon. maybe my store will have "Cuban Week" so I can pay 40% more for all the ingredients.
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
  • ddeggerddegger Posts: 244
    Cen-Tex, you are the man!
  • ddegger said:
    Cen-Tex, you are the man!

been telling my wife that for years. she remains skeptical...........
    2 Large BGE
    1 MiniMax BGE
    They do pollo frita as well. Great if you make broth with a stewing hen and have the meat to use up. Cuban food is generally pretty boring cause of the embargos and stuff but those two are my favourite when I go there, except for the lobster

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• calikingcaliking Posts: 8,543
    Yeah, it's Cuban I think. You simmer a flank in beef stock, garlic, mojo and onions til it will shred. Then you shred it and fry it. Similar to pulled beef but crispy

ok- yes. We will be doing this soon. maybe my store will have "Cuban Week" so I can pay 40% more for all the ingredients.
    Time to pull out the skewers...

But damn that looks good. I love those pickled onions or whatever they are whenever you (or TFJ) makes them - beautiful color.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 760
    Wow - amazing cook! The things we come up with just to satisfy our egg's need for more heat :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts