Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Trimming a brisket

The brisket I bought has a ton of fat on it, how much do you trim off? Do you trim all of it, half of it or how much?
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,767
    Down to about a 1/4 in.

There are two kinds of fat, hard and soft. Ditch all the hard stuff. It won't render.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • b0younceb0younce Posts: 10
    Cool thanks. There was a ton of hard fat on the brisket. Probably lost a 1/4 of its weight
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,767
    Fat is a good thing. Leave as much as you think you can handle eating. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    Try looking up the video on you tube of Aaron Franklin doing a brisket. He'll walk you through how to trim a brisket pretty good. Like @travisstrick said, ditch the hard stuff.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • CajunEggHeadCajunEggHead Posts: 189
    I have a deli-ma here I like some fat and the better half won't any fat at all, been married for 45 years and it has been a problem over the years.... I tell her she not to trim it so close, and she tells me she trims and I cook.....boy boy boy  
    :-/

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·
  • bbqlearnerbbqlearner Posts: 712
    I have a deli-ma here I like some fat and the better half won't any fat at all, been married for 45 years and it has been a problem over the years.... I tell her she not to trim it so close, and she tells me she trims and I cook.....boy boy boy  
    :-/
    Tell her to switch roles once in a while - for you to trim and she can cook or do what I do - blame it on the "expert eggheads" on this forum :D

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,433
    Here is a link to the best brisket "how to" page I've ever come across.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    BOWHUNR said:
    Here is a link to the best brisket "how to" page I've ever come across.

Mike
    It's bookmarked. Thanks for the tip.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • AcnAcn Posts: 770
    Thanks BOWHUNR; that is a fantastic reference!

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

·
  • danv23danv23 Posts: 464
    Best reference I've ever seen!!!

The Dude: Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Walter Sobchak: [shouting] Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules? Mark it zero!

Cumming, GA
    ·
  • Plano_JJPlano_JJ Posts: 448
    Griffin said:
    Try looking up the video on you tube of Aaron Franklin doing a brisket. He'll walk you through how to trim a brisket pretty good. Like @travisstrick said, ditch the hard stuff.
    +1 best video I have seen on this.
    ·